PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
One of the interesting new features of this site is that you can see the number of people actually viewing PipesMagazine at any given time. Go to the Forums tab and scroll half ways down to the Members Online section. The numbers are broken down into members online and visitors. I wonder if the numbers are accurate? Are there members who don't bother to log in and therefore are counted as a visitor? So my question is, what do you do? I just found the ratio to be highly in favour of visitors.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Posts on this forum are often at the top of detailed pipe-related google searches. That's how I found this forum and joined in the first place. I suspect there are quite a few visitors getting here in the same manner that I did.

Reactions: canucklehead

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I often lurk as a visitor and only log in if I am posting something. However, with the new forum I no longer have to log in every day, whereas on the old one I had to log back in every day.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Must be a preference setting. I don't see those windows, just another big ad for smoking pipes.
May also be a system related thing. Those indows are always visible on other sites. Don't know why they aren't as a default here.
Lots of lurkers from Chinese IPs in general.

Might not be people at all, but Poogle search spiders.
We have always had a large number of watchers. This is why I have said over and over, do not post a link to a pipe that you want to buy, and want to ask us a question about... because one of the hundreds of folks watching will snag it. It has happened many times on here.

Also, don't post a link to a great deal on tobacco, thinking you are only telling your forum friends... because you are really telling hundreds of nameless strangers that will eat it up before anyone else here can have a chance.

When I have brought it up, people get all butthurt and stomp off with "I was only trying to help my friends" so, now I just let the idiots learn for themself. puf

Reactions: perdurabo and mau1

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm looking at the site both on my Windows laptop and my Android phone.

The whole column to the left on the computer is not visible on my phone, so that's part of the divide.

Duane, you are strictly a phone user. Have you encountered the site sponsor list anywhere since the switch? (one of the "left column" items) I didn't find it on my phone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Visiting Forums without posting seems similar to alcohol-free beer? Why do that?

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
We have always had a large number of watchers. This is why I have said over and over, do not post a link to a pipe that you want to buy, and want to ask us a question about... because one of the hundreds of folks watching will snag it. It has happened many times on here.

Also, don't post a link to a great deal on tobacco, thinking you are only telling your forum friends... because you are really telling hundreds of nameless strangers that will eat it up before anyone else here can have a chance.

When I have brought it up, people get all butthurt and stomp off with "I was only trying to help my friends" so, now I just let the idiots learn for themself. puf
I really hope members here read this post carefully.

Reactions: trudger and mau1

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Visiting Forums without posting seems similar to alcohol-free beer? Why do that?

I do way more reading than posting online.

Cap'n, how did you get to that screen and does it include the other things found in the left hand column that can't be seen on the phone. (similar to "pre-transition" left hand column, "Categories: Ask GL Pease, etc, recent posts, Members online, forum statistics)

Status
Not open for further replies.