PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Last night I tried my first plug tobacco, GH&C Dark Plug Unscented, and now I am wondering if there is a better way to enjoy it.

I simply sliced off a section about as thick as most flakes I see, rubbed it out as best I could, packed my pipe somewhat loosely, and put a light to it.

This did not work well. I had a heckuva time getting it to stay lit. I'd get a few good puffs and then out it went the moment I stopped puffing for a second or two. About a third of the way into the bowl I finally got it to light decently but was dizzy by then.

I know I should have dried it out but I don't dry out the flake version and don't have this kind of trouble. Also, I know the nicotine level is fairly high in this blend but I think it only partially contributed to my dizziness. The rest I think is from trying too hard as I know it can affect me with not only other, milder blends but cigars as well. Some Gatorade and Ritz crackers fixed everything in about 5 minutes though.

Other than adding drying, what else should I be (or not be) doing with plugs?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I just slice off one thin chunk and rub it into shag, then one chunk of flake thickness and fully rub it out as much as possible. Dry for an hour or three usually and then smoke. Seems to work well. Alot of folks slice into flakes and then cube cut.

The GH plug may well be a bit wetter than most. Could just be a drying issue for you, your methodology sounds fine enough to me.

Plugs are quickly becoming my favorite presentation.

Reactions: lightmybriar

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I usually slice it thin, about 1/16”, with a utility blade, or very sharp knife. Then let it dry a bit, so it rubs out finer. Or slice it thin and give a spin in coffee grinder - the little one cup type you can pickup for $15-20. May require a little drying to smoke well in either case. Or if you have the patience you can dice it into little cubes.

Given that it’s usually moist and sticky, drying is required in most cases.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Dry time IS the biggest factor with anything containing Gawith in the name.

Slice thin flakes, rub out or cube cut before drying. Save the fold & stuff approach until you and the plug are better acquainted.

When you think it's dry enough, you're half way there. ?

Let it dry some more. Go read a book or something.

Worth the effort. Good luck.

Reactions: sandollars

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I usually slice to normal flake thickness, cube all but one slice and let it dry. The one slice I fully rub and let dry, and that's my top.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Slice thin flakes, rub out or cube cut before drying. Save the fold & stuff approach until you and the plug are better acquainted.
Spot on! It takes time to figure out plug, but once you have...No turning back...

Oct 7, 2016
I just shave some off, rub it out a little if need be, and go. Really just scrapings. Kind of like whitling a piece of hard wood. Too much trouble to try to cut uniform slices, doesn’t add anything IMO. Dark Plug has been a favorite smoke ever since Mick McQuaid became impossible to find in the US, but I don’t find it a whole lot different than Dark Flake.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
Cube cut works for me. I tried to slice a flake like pieces, then rub it out, but returned back to cube cut, it works better for me. To dry it well is crucial.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I don't mess around with trying to slice with a knife anymore. Now, I just use a double-bladed guillotine cigar cutter. A cheap one. Shave the tobacco off, rub out the shavings, dry if necessary, load and smoke. Works brilliantly.

I haven't smoked Dark Plug, but I smoke a lot of Dark Flake. It requires a fair amount of drying time, and the flakes are quite meaty. Once dried, it's kind of a bitch to get lit, but once I get it going, it tends to burn cool and slowly. Always requires some relights but generally it's not bad aside from that initial lighting.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
My plug has just fallen apart while chopping a piece to smoke. Seeing a preferred member asking how it has to be done reminds me to master the flakes first and leave the plugs at this point. :D

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Oh, and the nicotine level is very, very high in this blend. Roughly equivalent to the brown ropes. Maybe even a touch stronger. A bit of dizziness is understandable, especially if you're working hard to keep it puffing.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
What is a plug cutter and where does one get one?

Search eBay for, “antique tobacco cutters”. If you’re patient you can find one for a very good price, I got mine for about $40.00. Make sure they have good pictures of the blade though as they often have dents and chunks missing and they are very hard to replace unless you know a metal worker that can cut one out for you. I had to clean mine up and sharpen the blade up a bit but it was no big feat. Like I said, worth every penny. I have arthritis in my wrists so it’s hard to cut a Plug with a knife, this makes the process fun and easy!

Reactions: writingraav

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
Thanks!

View attachment 173

Search eBay for, “antique tobacco cutters”. If you’re patient you can find one for a very good price, I got mine for about $40.00. Make sure they have good pictures of the blade though as they often have dents and chunks missing and they are very hard to replace unless you know a metal worker that can cut one out for you. I had to clean mine up and sharpen the blade up a bit but it was no big feat. Like I said, worth every penny. I have arthritis in my wrists so it’s hard to cut a Plug with a knife, this makes the process fun and easy!

Reactions: hawky454

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
What is a plug cutter and where does one get one?
Biltong Cutter good for plugs slicing.
JdZeGHI.jpg

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
If the plug is very sense like Peterson's 3Ps, Warrior Plug, Mick McQuaid, etc. I find that using a very sharp knife to slice thin shavings and rubbing them out gives me great results. If the plug is looser like Triple Play or Gaslight, I'll slice 1/8" flakes and rub them out for favorable results.

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.