Peterson (Dunhill) Nightcap, Ready to Go From Tin??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Just a few quick questions on Nightcap (Peterson/Dunhill). Do you think it is dry enough to smoke straight out of the tin?
Will the moisture content vary from tin to tin?
I open the tin and put it straight into a storing jar. Do you think I should let it sit out a while?
Thanks everyone.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
A different take to your question: I immediately jar my blends upon my getting them, however moist or not so moist they might be in the tin. I never let them sit out a while. When I want to smoke them, I take from the jar roughly the amount I need to fill my pipe, spread it onto a coffee filter and let it dry to my preference, then I pack.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I have yet to try Nightcap (but will by this weekend), and therefore haven’t handled it. I will say that the more I smoke a pipe, the drier I prefer my tobacco. Chasingembers encouraged me to dry a bit more than I normally do, and my hat is off to him on that one.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
I have yet to try Nightcap (but will by this weekend), and therefore haven’t handled it. I will say that the more I smoke a pipe, the drier I prefer my tobacco. Chasingembers encouraged me to dry a bit more than I normally do, and my hat is off to him on that one.
I like it. My tobacconist recommended it, and I've bought it a second time. According to sites it is strong, but I don't find it to be as strong as HH Old Dark Fired.

Reactions: diamondback

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I've not smoked Nightcap in years.

That said, in those years I did, I smoked it directly from the tin. No drying time needed here.

Ymmv.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I haven't had the new Peterson versions, but I recall the final Dunhill-branded STG versions to be OK to smoke fresh from the tin, but would be better with a bit of drying. I do what Olkofri does. Take out a bowl's worth or so and let it dry for a bit before smoking. Nothing wrong with jarring blends straight from the tin, though I frequently just keep them in their original tins until they reach a point where they're just a hair wetter than I prefer to smoke... then jar them. If there's any left.

In terms of Nightcap's strength, I agree. Perhaps the old Dunhill manufactured versions from back in the day were stronger, or maybe people are mixing up flavor strength with nicotine strength. Old Dark Fired is definitely a stouter blend in terms of Vitamin N, in my experience.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Nightcap is very good though not as good as royal warrant or Murrays but you can't buy those without paying a real premium. If I intend to consume the tin in two-three weeks I leave it in the tin. I usually either get some out to dry for a half-hour or just put it in the bowl and smoke it.

Do you think it is dry enough to smoke straight out of the tin?
If someone prefers smoking their tobacco on the dry side, they will dry it out more. I can't predict whether you will like it one way better than another. But, I let whole tins dry when I pop them. I don't even believe in this thing some call "stale" unless we are talking years of being in an arid climate. Here in Alabama, I have yet to experience staleness.
But, if you prefer moisture in your tobacco, you might hate trying to smoke your tobacco how I prep it.

Try it in various ways for yourself.

ill the moisture content vary from tin to tin?
Age means that moisture changes as all sorts of magical, alchemical things are happening inside that tin. So, from tin to tins of different ages, yes, most likely. But, I don't think that tins all processed at the same time would be different. They have pretty tight QC there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With any new-to-me blend, I experiment with different moisture levels to find one that offers me the strongest clearest flavors. Most of the time, since I mostly smoke Virginias, Va/Pers, or Va/Burs, that means very dry. English, Balkan and Oriental blends are a different animal altogether. But even with these I find that some level of drying out brings out the flavors. Too much moisture masks flavors.
Also keep in mind that different manufacturers tin at varying moisture levels. Samuel Gawith blends are very wet. Hearth and Home blends are generally tinned at or near the ideal smoking moisture.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I only open a few tins at a time. One per style. Frankly I leave them in the tin except for the favorites that go into a jar. And honestly even if it's too moist I'll smoke it that way, if you only have a few tins open they'll quickly get to a good moisture level and then the last bowl will be on the dry side. I like seeing how something smokes under a variety of moisture levels.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
Most tins i open i will dump on a paper plate and fluff. After a couple of hours I'll repack back in the tin.. Most Dunhill i have opened has been ready to go. Royal Yacht will need a little air time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've smoked Nightcap both ways and prefer it allowed to dry a few hours or overnight. If it dries for a few days, that is not a bad thing to me, but it is a matter of taste.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Isn’t ODF the shiz-nits? I love that stuff! ?
Absolutely!! It has been a pleasure.

I also bought HH Latakia flake and tried it... lovely taste (reminds me of frankincense (as does nightcap)) although I felt it to be a bit on the weak / airy side.

Solution: 1/3 HH Latakia flake + 2/3 HH ODF = aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Absolutely!! It has been a pleasure.

I also bought HH Latakia flake and tried it... lovely taste (reminds me of frankincense (as does nightcap)) although I felt it to be a bit on the weak / airy side.

Solution: 1/3 HH Latakia flake + 2/3 HH ODF = aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh, dude! I’ll have to try that. Thank you!

Reactions: lightmybriar

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
IMHO, Nightcap and HH would both benefit from some dry time. Personally, I like my pipe tobacco slightly on the dry side, as I prefer not to be futzing with lighting too much. Bear in mind that YMMV.

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
I just opened a tin of Dunhill Nightcap 2 days ago and it was good to go right out of the tin, maybe 10 minutes of drying time. i'll smoke on the tin for maybe a week and then jar the rest in a mason jar to keep it from drying out as it is not an everyday tobacco for me to smoke. It's a good smoke but not as Latakia heavy as people think it is. Good luck!

Reactions: badbriar
Status
Not open for further replies.