PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The consideration of tobacco pipes as an accessory of ones attire made sense when much pipe smoking was done in public, at social events, on the commuter train platform, at the workplace, and anywhere around town. I admit to stealing a look at myself with a pipe if I happen by the mirror, but I would never think of it in selecting a pipe to purchase. I tend toward the traditional shapes and moderate sizes anyway. But back in the 1950's, a pipe was a statement worthy of careful consideration. Smoking accouterments were trademarks, as in World War II when leaders had specific ones -- Churchill's cigars, Stalin's pipes, FDR's cigarette holders, MacArthur's tall corn cob pipe, and so on.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
The consideration of tobacco pipes as an accessory of ones attire made sense when much pipe smoking was done in public, at social events, on the commuter train platform, at the workplace, and anywhere around town. I admit to stealing a look at myself with a pipe if I happen by the mirror, but I would never think of it in selecting a pipe to purchase. I tend toward the traditional shapes and moderate sizes anyway. But back in the 1950's, a pipe was a statement worthy of careful consideration. Smoking accouterments were trademarks, as in World War II when leaders had specific ones -- Churchill's cigars, Stalin's pipes, FDR's cigarette holders, MacArthur's tall corn cob pipe, and so on.

You make an incredibly good point, mso. Choosing a pipe as one would choose a watch or tie- as an "accessory" to a man's wardrobe makes perfect sense, especially in the heyday of pipe smoking.
However, today pipes have become so rare that even a corncob or grabow will get passersby staring. I think the only real pipe scrutiny we'll face is from other pipe smokers.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Yup.
I wonder if anyone else thinks that subconscious selection also plays a part in the pipes we favor.

No doubt. I had started a response post to you along these lines last night but got sidetracked with something... pretend it was something deep because I had some insightful remark but forgot what it was. lol

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.