PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Czech tool of course! There is however a huge difference in quality between a Czech tool stamped 'MADE IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA' versus one stamped 'MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC' versus an all together knock-off made in guess where. The original being solid and never having any sharp edges for example. I use a ball peen hammer and an anvil to adjust my Czechoslovakia tool. One small strike with flat side of hammer against the brass hinge of tool to tighten, while one small ball side of hammer strike (tap) directly towards center of hinge to loosen.
I always had a feeling my Czech tools were knock offs.... Where can I get the real deal? And how much do they cost?

Reactions: MrTom

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Probably the best made ones come from Germany or Japan. Czech Tool may have been original to Czechoslovakia but are now worldwide. So you can have a real Czech Tool from anywhere.

Aug 8, 2018
I always had a feeling my Czech tools were knock offs.... Where can I get the real deal? And how much do they cost?

If yours is stamped MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC then chances are it was made in the same factory as the originals were. The same company Massag produces them in the Czech Republic but as with many things these days, the quality is less.

You can try here, not sure if Alex a.k.a. Fat Bastard has any left. He is a great guy to deal with but beware, shipping from his tiny outpost in Denmark takes a while so you need patience.

The original CZECHOSLOVAKIA pipe tool for sale.

He made a helpful video as well a while back.

Alex's Czech tool video.

Hope that helps. I personally recommend anyone try them that uses a Czech tool and doesn't have the original. They are a world of difference from the newer ones.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
There's enough heat to lift or damage a gold or silver veneer.
Yes, I believe you. Without getting mind numbing technical, there is a huge difference between gold plate/veneer, gold filled and solid gold.
Gold plated items are made by using electricity or chemicals to deposit and bond a very thin layer of gold over another metal or other type of base. This bond can often be broken by heat, pressure or wear.
Gold filled items are those where an actual layer of gold is pressure bonded onto another base metal such as brass. An example of this would be older pocket watches. These would be guaranteed to wear for 20 years due to the thicker layer of gold over the base. A genuine gold filled object can normally take a good bit of heat without damage.
Solid gold is (mostly) a mixture of gold, silver, copper in various proportions depending on the color and karat desired. Solid or alloyed gold, has high resistance to corrosion and can take temperatures of around 2000 Fahrenheit before it deforms. Your pipe will be long gone before you could come near to harming a solid gold tamper to tamp tobacco.
This is all off the top of my head, but I have a lot of experience with this so it should be close enough for government work.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I guess I’m a little more spartan when it comes to pipe tools. I use a small piece of oak dowel that I drilled lengthwise and placed in it a nice long nail from the garage. The nail fits snugly but is easily removed. I use a new match to scrape off any annoying bits or boogers stuck to the inner walls of my pipe. I have several that I’ve made in case of loss or can give away if a friend needs one. I have one fancy one that I colored with a black sharpie.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Couple of fine explanations; check! Having a real czech tool made in Czechoslovakia would be a treat. Like having a Canadian shape from Canada and a Hungarian shape made in Hungary!

And, yes, plating was the word I couldn't find in my brain so I used a wood working term.
I also could have been specific that one of my pipe tools has the chrome plating coming off the tamper pad due to long use.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I enjoy babys bottom soft hands, so forming a smokers callus is not a good look for me. In a pinch or with a good bit of Ash I will attempt it but otherwise I opt for a tool! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.