PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Oh, yeah..that's gotta suck!
I hate sealing day too but it looks like your very over due!

Edited for spellcheck issues!

Last edited:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It is a labor of love to be sure!

I use mylar bags that hold 4 tins and just use the seal function without vacuuming.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Not to rain on your parade but the integrity of those plastic bags over a long period of time isn't very good. Were I going to go to the trouble, I'd do it with Mylar bags.
Yeah, I know mylar is better, but I don’t want to go all the way to town just to get some. I figure any that pop open, hopefully the tins will still be sealed and if not, oh goddamn, I guess I’ll just have to smoke them.

Reactions: kurtbob
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, I know mylar is better, but I don’t want to go all the way to town just to get some. I figure any that pop open, hopefully the tins will still be sealed and if not, oh goddamn, I guess I’ll just have to smoke them.

Does Amazon deliver to your house? Hey, seal them however you wish.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Does Amazon deliver to your house? Hey, seal them however you wish.
A fair point. They used to, now we have to drive to Palmer to pick up packages. I had the first hour long window in weeks at this particular moment so I just used what I had around. Sort of spur of the moment. Definitely ordering some Mylar for future sealings, but this batch I’m just gonna let it ride.
Fully aware of the potential consequences, but I’m just gonna hope for the best. Maybe redo them when I get some mylar, idk.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Why have you been sealing two different tins together?

I can't answer for him but I do it all the time. Sometimes I just have tins that I know I won't be getting to anytime soon so they just get bagged and sealed. When I decide to take one particular tin out I'll have to decide to either reseal the other tins or put them all into my regular rotation.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Why have you been sealing two different tins together?

For me it's actually the opposite, those are tins I know I will be smoking relatively soon so they likely won't pop open before I get to them. But since I have all the gear out I seal them anyway, in case one pops due to unexpected trauma (earthquakes, dropping, etc.) or shitty sealing, etc. I do two different blends in those so I have some variety when I open the bag.

The ones I know will be going in to the cellar for much longer, I only seal two tins with the same blend, in case they pop I don't want different blends to marry too much inside the bag.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
For me it's actually the opposite, those are tins I know I will be smoking relatively soon so they likely won't pop open before I get to them. But since I have all the gear out I seal them anyway, in case one pops due to unexpected trauma (earthquakes, dropping, etc.) or shitty sealing, etc. I do two different blends in those so I have some variety when I open the bag.

The ones I know will be going in to the cellar for much longer, I only seal two tins with the same blend, in case they pop I don't want different blends to marry too much inside the bag.
You are afraid of the tins popping open by themselves???

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You are afraid of the tins popping open by themselves???

Yes, the square ones especially. I have heard many folks with a lot more cellaring experience than I have mention that they would not count on square tins to make it more than 4 or 5 years without popping. So the option is either to Jar them or seal them. I chose the latter, because I have a lot of sealing bags (we buy in bulk because of all the moose/fish/etc.) and I don't have a lot of jars, and jarring sounds like way more of a pain in the ass. Sealing takes about 45 seconds for every two tins.

I do the circular ones as well as a precaution, as many have mentioned finding popped dried out tins in their cellars as well. I have had two (one circular, one square) pop on their own in the last 3 months.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Have you actually had this happen?
Yes, as mentioned in the post above I had a tin of Capstan yellow RR (a few years old) pop open in the cellar, as well as a square tin of ODF that was only purchased a few months ago.

I never sealed before that.

Granted, it is likely a rare occurence, but my cellar is fairly small and it takes minimal effort. All the tins in the photo, plus another batch about the same size (all my circular and square tins) took just under one hour to do.

I do not seal the canister style tins, such as C&D, etc. Never heard of those popping. Rusting out on the other hand.....

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Strange I've never heard of that other than maybe one time. Good to be aware! I have only 5 Square tins in the cellar, the rest is jars. But I much prefer the way there square tins tale up less space.... Guess I won't be buying any more....looks like bulk pounds from here on out! (Cheaper that way anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.