PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's a thumbnail primer on the value and uses of small pipes, of what used to be called Group 1 and 2. Why would anyone want such a small pipe? The obvious use is for a short smoke, during a work break or intermission or other limited time. For that purpose, you can use a tobacco that will burn the appropriate amount of time. Small pipes can also give an average length smoke with flake, plug, coin or rope. I've been amazed at how long flake will burn in a Group 1. Small pipes are also good for sampling extra strength tobacco, to get its measure before graduating to a medium or larger bowl. They also serve to sample tobaccos at a pipe show, pipe club, or pipe shop, where you may not have time to smoke a medium bowl of each offering. I thought of small pipes as toys or souvenirs until the late great fish'n'banjo recommended them, so I bought one and never looked back. If you are thinking of buying a small pipe, I say do it. If you never considered it, I'd say, do so. Any small pipe adventures or opinions to report?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've tried a couple and didn't care for them. Group 4 is where I finally settled for a small pipe. They can fit in a shirt pocket, can provide a long smoke or several short ones, and can be filled half way for a single shorter smoke. The smaller pipes also have a tendency of falling out of my pocket.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I have mostly smaller pipes in my collection and enjoy everyone of them. I get fatigued easily when smoking most blends so short smokes work best for me. I have a 1947 Castello that is so small no one believes it is actually a Castello. It is stamped with a #3 on the stem (which designates it as an odd shape) and is about a 20 minute smoke.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I have pipes in a variety of sizes, but I tend to gravitate toward group 2-3 size pipes. Particularly for pipes which see a lot of flakes. I generally like to smoke one flake at a time, and it always bugs me a little to need 1.5 flakes to fill a pipe.

Incidentally, I believe Sykes Wilford is a known devotee of smaller pipes. I've heard through the grapevine that he's one of the people who helped popularize Savinelli's Petite line of pipes. Here's a link.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If by small, you mean group 4, I’m in :LOL:

Smoking once a week or so these days, gotta make the most. Also just have a fast cadence. Hate to reload.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I enjoy smaller pipes as they are more easily clenched and are excellent for 20 min smokes. I agree that the group 3/4 are probably the most versatile as well and should be in all of our stables.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I got my smallest pipe more or less by accident. From the photos on Al Pascia I thought it was bigger than it actually was.

Now I’m happy that I have it for quick smokes or when I’ve got a bit left over from loading the previous bowl.

It is so light and has such a smooth finish that I initially had trouble believing it was made out of briar.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Very nice! Meers have a tendency to be extremely oversized and too intricate. Love the simplicity of that one. May see if I can find a similar sized bent.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A beaut.

screenshot_20191019-203016_imgur-jpg.5540

Status
Not open for further replies.