PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2019
Newfoundland
Hello I am pretty new to pipe smoking. Really enjoying it.

I have some pipes I inherited from my Grandfather. I try not to smoke them too much.

I am in the market for a new pipe. The one I am smoking now (first picture) fits really well in the hand and does not heat up like my Grandfather's pipes. The stem split length ways on both top and bottom. No luck in buying the stem alone so far.

The two I have been really looking at is the Mr. Brogs bent bulldog and the rattray's goblin 99. These are the shapes I like the best. The goblin 99 does seem like it would heat up faster than the mr. Brogs.

I would like your thoughts on these two as well as any other suggestions in this style of pipe.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20190921_134859.jpg
    20190921_134859.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190921_134933.jpg
    20190921_134933.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20190921-134729_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190921-134729_Samsung Internet.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 13

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd go for the Rattray's. Some time ago someone was commenting about issues with Mr Brog's quality control.
There have been a few discussions about Ratteay's draft holes being crooked. I had a Marlin Dublin with that issue.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Never considered a cob. How long do they last. I am looking to spend money once on a good pipe and have it for a long time

I have the MM Cob pipe pictured above and it smokes just as good as some of my briars. I have had it for a little under a year. I smoke any new blends my friends give me to try and it smokes just fine. I do prefer to smoke really sweet blends out of it, something about those blends in a cob while doing chores seems right. Anyway, short answer: it should last you a long time if you take care of it. Also the beauty is that if you do burn a hole through it or break the pipe, you can just buy a new one (~$15) and throw the acrylic stem on it!

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I'm no expert, but I think a MM cob, especially the more hefty ones, could rival a briar for longevity. To me, the plastic bits on many of them make them feel flimsier than they are. I have a Country Gentleman with an aftermarket acrylic mini churchwarden stem, and it feels like you could bash somebody's head in with that thing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the MM cobs that cost a little more but have acrylic stems. The stems don't chew through, and the whole pipe lasts longer for me. The price difference is from the $7 to $11 pipes and those that cost $24 or $25. If you have a few pipes, this makes them last a long time, possibly years or decades. Some see them as looking a little too folksy, but I think with a snappy sports coat or for that matter a tux, they can look quite sharp. People see so few pipes being smoked, they hardly critique what level of pipe you have going.kl

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Some see them as looking a little too folksy, but I think with a snappy sports coat or for that matter a tux, they can look quite sharp. People see so few pipes being smoked, they hardly critique what level of pipe you have going.kl

Sandpaper and black dye...Voila, a cob for formal occasions. :)

This isn't an issue for me, since these days I rarely go to places that require anything more formal more than shorts, a t-shirt, and Crocs.

Reactions: tg51

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I am looking to spend money once on a good pipe and have it for a long time

Therein lies the rub. "Money" is a relative term in that context. What you consider expensive might not be what I consider expensive might not be what someone else considers expensive etc.

Cobs are definitely an inexpensive way to go. Estates can be as well. That being said, if I wanted a new (or fresh as the term may be) pipe with what I consider the best QPR (quality to price ratio), I would look for either a Savinelli or a Peterson.

Depending on who has what on sale out there, both have sub-$100 great offerings.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
At one time I would have turned my nose up at the idea of smoking out of a corn cob. Then one day, after taking a long hiatus from pipe smoking, a friend gave me a MM Eaton, of all things, with "Rabbit Hash, KY" stamped on the shank. Just for the hell of it, I went to Rite Aid and picked up some tobacco. I gave it a test drive, and was blown away at how well it smoked with no break-in whatsoever. The next day I went to the tobacco shop and bought some My Mixture 965, was more blown away, and here we are.

Even if they aren't your #1 favorite, cobs are a good, inexpensive option for increasing the number of pipes in your rotation so you have backups while your favorites are resting.

Status
Not open for further replies.