PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
1906 BBB Own Make Dreadnought 6197. With a Glokar bit.
1MDVwEy.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have found a few 60s dunhill bruyeres in really good shape for around $100. Got a Randy Wiley Galleon Bent Pot for $46, and a couple English Barling/Charatan pipes for under $20 that are great smokers. And an unsmoked Kaywoodie Westbrook Ajustomatic for $3. However, my best find so far, at least to me, might be this one?....
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/is-this-what-i-think-it-is-rare-holbek-pipe

kingjon

Can't Leave
Aug 27, 2013
Not much of a find, but I bought an estate Marxman Benchmade acorn from Smoking Pipes for like $25. It’s absolutely the best smoking pipe I own.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
A few years ago I saw a Stanwell Revival shape 124 in a video and fell in love with the shape.

The revival ones were all sold out, but I found an estate original shape 124 on a German website. They didn’t ship to Australia, so I had it send to my parents place in the Netherlands, who sent it on to me.

It is now one of the pipes I reach for the most. In hindsight I much prefer the original over the revival version. I’m actually smoking it right now.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Some from the past year include the following for roughly 10 bucks each:
  • BBB Own Make with silver hallmarks dating to 1899
  • Andreas Bauer Meerschaum made for Pfeifen Huber
  • Charatan's Make 149X from early 1960s
  • Savinelli Straight Grain 623
And last week a Savinelli Punto Oro with two stems in box with sock, very lightly used, for 11 bucks.

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
From when the eponymous "Oom Paul" was still walking the Earth!
Yes indeed. But I doubt he smoked it.

I now have a few BBBs from the early 1900s, and all of them are gorgeous. Another one that is really striking is a Cavalier with a horn stem and horn cover under the lower well.
Mark

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
A year ago or so I found a clean 1927 Dunhill Bulldog in an antique store on the Gulf coast for $10. Not interested in smoking it or keeping it, I did nothing but wipe the dust off and listed it on ebay. Yes, a tidy profit was made so I could purchase a nice pipe I would like to smoke! Never even took a pic of it. I think I was channeling the Captain of the Black Frigate...:rolleyes:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My most treasured GBD, a 9242 Sandblast. I arrived at the NYC pipe show early enough to snag the pipe from Paige Simms table (Baltimore Pipe Club), before anyone else discovered it. The drive to and from the show was nearly nine hours, but worth every minute because of this find.

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
I certainly don't have the estate-finding pedigree of most of you, but I've enjoyed rooting around shops and estate sales to see what I can find. My "treasures:"

Ben Wade billiard, pre-1965 (made in Leeds). Paid $18
Elliott Nachwalter sandblasted plateaux. It's complete. Just needs to be cleaned up. Paid $25
Frank Augsberger plateaux, Natural World. Stem was missing but paid $50. Wanted a piece of American pipe history. Stummel is in great shape and it spoke to me. Will have a replacement stem made.

My latest finds are interesting (maybe just by me!). A couple of weeks ago, I found 2 different Micoli's. Both stems were missing. Again wanted some American pipe history. Paid $20 each. Will have stems made and enjoy them.

One of my favorites is a 3-dot Canadian made Brigham Sportsman. Not worth a lot but found it in an antique store in Alberta Canada. Always wanted a Canadian Brigham and the hunt made it special. Paid $10 for it.

I'll post pics in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.