PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PadrePiper887

Lurker
Sep 8, 2019
Hi there guys, there are some nice Christmas edition pipes out there and every year at Christmas, Peterson and Savinelli makes new ones. I've been tempted several times to pull the trigger and get that pipe but I am held back. What should I consider?

I'm an amateur pipe smoker. Your feedback will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Go with what speaks to you, or contact an artisan and commission one to get exactly what you want.

Bruce Weaver 2016 Christmas Egg with an ivory shank accent and red bakelite stem.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Welcome to the forum Padre!

For what it's worth I thought the Peterson Christmas 2018 pipes looked very nice. However Peterson seems to have some quality control issues. Lots of members love them (including many with a lot more experience than me), but I would personally not buy a new Peterson.

I'll echo ChasingEmbers that choosing a pipe is a personal thing. Do you like the way a pipe looks? How does it feel in your hand? Does it pass a pipe cleaner without issue? If you clench weight may be a consideration.

PadrePiper887

Lurker
Sep 8, 2019
Welcome to the forum Padre!

For what it's worth I thought the Peterson Christmas 2018 pipes looked very nice. However Peterson seems to have some quality control issues. Lots of members love them (including many with a lot more experience than me), but I would personally not buy a new Peterson.

I'll echo ChasingEmbers that choosing a pipe is a personal thing. Do you like the way a pipe looks? How does it feel in your hand? Does it pass a pipe cleaner without issue? If you clench weight may be a consideration.
Thank you for bringing up that issue about the recent peterson pipes. I will take note of that ?

M

Marindas

I was and still am interested in the 2018 Peterson Christmas pipes. I really like the color, rustification and copper band they have. Resisting the PAD...

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Ray - that's an awesome meerschaum! What a perfect Christmas pipe.

I was and still am interested in the 2018 Peterson Christmas pipes. I really like the color, rustification and copper band they have. Resisting the PAD..

I have a 2018 Peterson Christmas pipe, and it's one of my favorite pipes. It's an 87 shape, a straight apple. The maroon color of the briar and the copper band make a very good looking combination. I also bought a bent shape, but the draft hole was drilled at the top of the mortise like so many other Petersons so unfortunately I did not like it and I sent it back.

frankrem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Huntsville, Arkansas
SO - Is a Christmas pipe only to be smoked during Christmas? I think that is the question that makes me hesitate when considering buying one. However, I do like the idea of getting another pipe. Just not one that I will only use for a couple of months at the most.

I imagine in a year or two when I have a few dozen pipes the idea will be more appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.