Lies, More Lies & A Small Touch of Sanity | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

By C.R.S. Lyles
Dear Readers,

I write to you from the road as I flee the oppressive atmosphere of a campus run rampant with anti-smoking campaigns and rules targeted to ostracize those brave enough to light up at the University of Florida.

My destination?

Vegas.

Long known for its "anything goes", "whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" attitude, it is more the entire state of Nevada that I am interested in relocating to. Adverse to the ham-handed legislature of its neighbor Arizona (which has caused quite a media riot over the last several months), Nevada has actually managed to pass a rather controversial piece of legislature without inciting the fury of the masses.

Just a few weeks ago, Gov. Brian Sandoval signed into law a bill which grants taverns and standalone bars "the right to permit both smoking and food service."

It’s really kind of sad that I find this so exciting and worthy of a completely random move, but I am a smoker, after all, and moreover a smoker who lives in a country who bombards every free sense I have with anti-tobacco commercials and advertisements.

For Christ’s sake, they’ve just passed another bullshit piece of legislature which makes all cigarette packages come with the "new and improved" Surgeon General’s warning, a heart-warming collection of images which include a limp cigarette (as an allusion to effect on male virility), a bald woman graphically dying beside the words "Smoking causes cancer", and an image of a diseased set of vocal cords, all of which are featured prominently on the front or back of the package instead of on the side.

And the kicker? They call this a "historic initiative."

There is some hope, though, in the knowledge that the Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act has officially been slapped in the face by Assembly Bill 571. Now, if only two similar proposals could get into a death-match in my most recent city of Gainesville, I might have considered living there longer.

I wish I could have informed them of some of the recent rumblings I’ve heard from the rebellious smoker’s underground. I wish they could see some of the information and evidence that I’ve been waving in their faces since last summer, but they all refuse to listen to logic or reason.

Besides, I’ve got far too many smoking citations on campus to really risk getting too radical.

But I do want you to at least know this information for the next time you have to defend yourself against some snoopy, mollycoddling nanny, so here it is.

C. Everett Koop, U.S. Surgeon General from 1982 to 1989, said this after his infamous statement that second-hand smoking was responsible for 2,000 deaths in the United States: while he may have pulled the figure out of a hat, it was all in a good cause. The principle was right.

The principle was right?!?!

Only that it wasn’t.

A 1987 study by the American National Academy of Sciences found noevidence that second-hand smoke jeopardizes the health of non-smokers.

Checkmate?

Never.

"In 1993, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) went one better than Koop. They took the official position that second-hand cigarette smoke is a health hazard, responsible for 3,000 lung cancer deaths in the U.S."

Only that it wasn’t.

Just a few years later, questions about the legitimacy of the statement began to emerge, and by 1998 Federal District Judge William Osteen ruled that "EPA publicly committed to a conclusion before research had begun. The EPA disregarded information and made findings on selective information."

But wait, isn’t second-hand smoke still considered one of the major causes of death in U.S. every year?

My little plan about getting out to where the gettin’s still good is starting to look mighty attractive now, isn’t it?

And for those of you who smoke cigars or pipes, yeah you might get dragged down into the mud with the more disreputable cigarette smokers, but at least you’ll have your health.

"A U.S. Surgeon General report ‘Smoking and Health’ noted ‘Pipe smokers who inhale live as long as nonsmokers and pipe smokers that don’t inhale live longer than non-smokers." And even though it’s only about three years longer, at least you can have the last laugh.

So I guess this is about the point where I should get off my butt from the little rest stop I’ve stationed myself at to write this to you. I hear Vegas calling my name, and as Robert Frost once said, "I’ve miles to go before I sleep."

Yep, all I’ve got to do is just hop in my car, turn the key in the ignition, put on some tunes and then crank it up….

Crap. Out of gas.

There’s a sign in the distance for a Chevron hosting Regular Unleaded for $3.97.

I’ll get into my thoughts about the gas issues we’ve been having later.

Cheers,

C. R. S. Lyles

Carter R. Lyles is a student at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL and at the University of Florida in Gainesville. He is a journalism/psychology major, and in addition to his work at Pipes Magazine, he has contributed articles to The Alligator, Thursday Night Magazine, and The Fine Print.

9 Responses to “Lies, More Lies & A Small Touch of Sanity”

1. romeowood said:

Thank you for giving voice to our collectively vented rage again, Carter.

2. hilojohnny said:

Thanks, Carter, for once again demonstrating that there are indeed intelligent and articulate souls among the smoking community. I must join you in mourning the sanity and integrity of my alma mater which has also chosen to become completely smoke free. ( It’s somewhat more north of your UF )

3. kevin cardiff said:

Hi, Carter:

Great article, as usual. I live in Las Vegas, and always thought the ban on smoking in bars that serve food was idiotic. In fact, off the Las Vegas Strip, the law was widely ignored, and the state of Nevada didn’t try very hard to enforce it either. Gov. Sandoval was just acknowledging reality by getting rid of that stupid law. Also, the bars were suffering economically, because the fact is, people like to smoke, drink, eat and gamble here.

However, I must add that even in Las Vegas, there is an element of prudish pleasure haters. One of the casinos off the Strip, Tuscany, has banned cigar and pipe smoking in the casino or at any of the bars. I wrote them a scathing letter and said, among other things, that I couldn’t believe, in the current economic climate, that they would want to exclude any group. But in general, Nevadans are pretty tolerant and free. We just have to constantly guard against the “Californication” of our state. One thing that’s very true here is that it all comes down to money. If it’s profitable, they’ll do it, which makes Las Vegas one of the most honest places to live.

Kevin Cardiff

You make some very good points, and expose the fraudulent claims made in the name of public health — self-admitted lies with good intentions — from no less than the nation’s chief of medical “science”! It is clear that freedom is under attack by brazen propaganda and thought control. Thanks for exposing the deception.
    Of course, none of this rescues the article from the appearance of having been hastily cobbled together at some roadside rest stop. You’ve done better, Mr. Lyles. Rest up a bit, and for Pete’s sake, put some gas in that tank!

5. jimbo said:

Carter,

Please explain to me about your “smoking citations” on campus. Do they fine you or what?

Not having been a college student since 1975, and with no “citations” to my name (OK… maybe I parked in the wrong place a few times), I was just wondering what the no-smoking police is up to.

Terrific article!

6. Captain Bob said:

Carter,

I think you should run for Office! How about President? I’ll vote for you!

@Jimbo - Carter is currently off on assignment, but he said you can get all of the details of the policy here: http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=18382

8. jimbo said:

Kevin,

Thanks for that link from Carter. I read it. Oh, brother! BIG Brother rears his ugly head.

9. kevincardiff said:

Hi, All:

The Florida campus smoking policy really does remind one of the book 1984.

We recently did a trip north to Utah to see some Shakespeare plays in Cedar City. I found that state to be extremely repressive. It was difficult to find a place to smoke even OUTSIDE, and we stayed in a hotel on the outskirts of town. There were signs at every door of the hotel stating their non-smoking policy, and citing a recent law passed, prohibiting smoking “in public areas.” I kid you not. So it’s okay to sin in private, but not in public. They apply this same attitude to drinking establishments. There are three bars listed in the Cedar City yellow pages, and you really have to look hard to find one. (We did).

Needless to say, I am much more loath to spend my tourist dollar in Utah after this latest experience. Kevin Cardiff

: Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 8 comment(s) | 1852 view(s) per day
    Rules? What Rules?
    : Russ Ouellette In my early twenties I was fortunate to become friends with Mel Feldman, who owned T... 7 comment(s) | 1322 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 1279 view(s) per day
    August 2014 Caption Contest Sponsored by SmokingPipes.com & Savinelli
    : PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest Sponsored by SmokingPipes.com & Savinelli Welcome t... 3 comment(s) | 833 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 6 comment(s) | 767 view(s) per day
    King Charlemagne and the Dog Days of Summer
    : E. Roberts This is the weather I live for—hot, humid, and hot. What some disparagingly refer ... 3 comment(s) | 700 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 8 comment(s) | 630 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 566 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 559 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Early this morning, a dear friend packed a hired truck with boxes of pipes, tobacco, bo... 4 comment(s) | 557 view(s) per day
    The Joy of Smokes
    : E. Roberts Perambulating about the Upper East Side the other day I saw the remnants of an apartment... 7 comment(s) | 533 view(s) per day
    Twain and His Creations Arrive in Corn Cob Fame
    : A. Miller A few months ago a friend of mine took a look at my pipe collection and furled his brow s... 8 comment(s) | 484 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 467 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 3 comment(s) | 460 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 452 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 445 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 430 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 400 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 396 view(s) per day