The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 91 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Thank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk show for pipe smokers and collectors. We broadcast weekly, every Thursday at 8 pm eastern USA time and are available on nearly all podcast sites and apps. Listen on your computer, tablet, phone and even in the car! Our Featured Interview tonight is with Mike Butera. Mike has had a great influence in the business of pipe making, tobacco blending and cigar making. He has been at it for over 30-years. He is a pipe maker, and tobacco blender for pipes and cigars. In our opening "Pipe Parts" educational segment, Brian will discuss three of the most dominant tobacco processes that create three of the most popular "pipe tobaccos" - Cavendish, Latakia, and Perique. Sit back, relax with your pipe, and enjoy The Pipes Magazine Radio Show!

Tonight’s show is sponsored by Sutliff-Tobacco.com, CupOJoes.com, SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, MeerschaumStore.com, Cornell & Diehl, and Savinelli Pipes and Tobaccos. Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our 1-hour show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes and other podcast sites and apps after the initial broadcast is complete here.

Listen & Download With These Apps as Well
iTunes Podkicker for Android Stitcher

Mike Butera Smoking a Pipe While Making a Pipe

This article sponsored bySmokingPipes.com. Please give them some consideration for your next tobacco or pipe purchase. They have a great selection and great prices -SmokingPipes.com

Mike Butera with his Butera Cigar Line

6 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 91”

Hi Brian
    Can’t disagree with you on your discussion of pipe tobacco processing.

I always enjoyed Mike Butera’s tobaccos, especially the Dark Stoved. I haven’t tried one of his pipes - yet. His stories of Baldi and Scotti were great.

Yul Brenner always was a great actor and pipe smoker.

May miss next week, but I will post a selfie from OBX.

Keep up the great work.

2. balcifer said:

Hi Brian
    Another great interview just finished listening to your podcast with Mike Butera and his road too pipe making. Looking forward too his return and talk about his tobacco brands.

3. safaripete said:

Brian, as usual a great interview with Mike Butera. A very interesting Pipe Parts about Tobacco and as alway just a wonderful show.
    On Andre Segovia, I was blessed to be able to hear him in person. Just wonderful. I think he could have made a broom sound good. To think of all those guitar lessons I’ve taken. I should have just bought more Segovia CD’s.
    With the podcast happening on Tuesday starting in July. I’ll be happy 2 days earlier. Be well. Light up….drink up!!
    Thanks for the brotherhood.
    PETER D FIELD SR
    SAFARIPETE

4. birdseye said:

Brian,
    Great show with Mike Butera. I also enjoyed last week’s show but it is much better to watch Gina perform (online) than listen to her for a number of reasons. She is a very unique individual. I was glad I had the fast forward option for this weeks music.

I was planning to comment on the extra absorbent pipe cleaners last week but never got around to it so I’m glad it came up again this week. I have always used Longs pipe cleaners, both regular and extra absorbent. I used to be pretty regimented with my pipe cleaning doing it ever two weeks but those days seem to be long gone. I now clean my pipe right before I smoke it. My habit was to use 2 or 3 regular cleaners in the stem and the fluffy ones in the shank. First I’d run both ends of a fluffy into the shank and then bend the pipe cleaner in the middle making sure to pinch the bend to as fine a point as possible. Then I would run the bent cleaner through the shank. I would do this as many times as necessary until the cleaners came out clean (usually 2 or 3). For longer pipes I put a fluffy and regular together and run then down the shank side by side.
    Lately though, I almost exclusively use the fluffy cleaners in both the stem and the shank. If I can get a fluffy cleaner into the stem I feel the added pressure from the tight fit seems to clean it better and I end up using less cleaners. If the air hole is too narrow I use the regular cleaners in the stem. I have had no real problems with getting the fluff stuck in my pipes they always seem clear. I’ve never really had fluff issues with Long’s cleaners.

So there’s my 2 cents. Keep up the good work. Guys, if you haven’t gone to the site to check out Gina’s shoot, take a few minutes… you won’t be disappointed.

Cheers,
    Nelson

5. sparkyspipes said:

Hello Brian
    It was amazing to hear from Mike Butera and were he got started from. The ladies have probably went over to Tobacco Pipe Collectors for Women (TPC4W) to get away from us guys. The Sutliff guys are extremely nice guys and are really in tune with us end pipe smokers and pipe makers, John is a super down to earth guy. another great show! I am very glad my kids still have 5-6 years before I have to worries about college.
    keep it smoking
    scott

Great discussion on pipe tobacco processing. Some times when the question is it this or that the answer is just yes.

Loved the interview with Mike Butera. Truly the godfather of American Carvers.

Seriously, complaining about the photos in college brochures?? If you don’t know what the weather is like where you are going you aren’t smart enough to go to college. It is just like a company that sells a product, oh say tobacco pipes, who takes extremely lovely photos of it products in the most handsome of settings. Just trying to make a sale, man.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 2922 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 1283 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 1045 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 819 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 792 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 678 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 645 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 566 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 498 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 495 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 487 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 484 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 439 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 420 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 3 comment(s) | 419 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 412 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 407 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 404 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 382 view(s) per day