The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 82 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Thank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk show for pipe smokers and collectors. We broadcast weekly, every Thursday at 8 pm eastern USA time and are available on nearly all podcast sites and apps. Listen on your computer, tablet, phone and even in the car! Our Featured Interview tonight is with pipe maker Joe Nelson. Joe has been making pipes for nearly 10-years. His pipes come in all shapes and styles from the standard classics to the extremely artistic. Joe is also a luthier, repairing and making custom guitars. In the "Pipe Parts" segment Brian will give you some great pointers on traveling with pipes and tobaccos. There are some important tips that will keep these prized possessions safe. Sit back, relax with your pipe, and enjoy The Pipes Magazine Radio Show!

Tonight’s show is sponsored by Sutliff-Tobacco.com, CupOJoes.com, SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, MeerschaumStore.com, Cornell & Diehl, and Savinelli Pipes and Tobaccos. Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our 1-hour show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes and other podcast sites and apps after the initial broadcast is complete here.

Listen & Download With These Apps as Well
iTunes Podkicker for Android Stitcher

Pipe Maker & Guitar Maker Joe Nelson OldNelliePipes.com NelsonGuitars.com

6 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 82”

Hi Brian in LA,
    It doesn’t sound like Memorex. It sounds like Brian. Maybe it is doppelganger at the microphone.

Good advice on traveling with sealed tins of tobacco. You many not want to have your tins opened by TSA. Leave sealed tins at home and don’t buy them when away from home if you are flying.

I have seen Joe Nelson at shows but have not tried his pipes - yet. Being a dilettante in the area of playing the guitar, I found the portion of your interview on guitar making was quite interesting. I can see how the guitar making translates into pipe making. Loved the interview.

Dueling Banjos - nice choice. Wish I could pick like that. Maybe someday, my brain-finger-foot don’t want to move in such a coordinated fashion.

Rave - Fantastic story.
    Waiting for 9:00 PM, Friday night in Chicago.

Really good advice on how to travel with your pipes and tobaccos. Remember friends the TSA guys are mainly minimum wage guys and there is no more feared human than a minimum wage worker given a little power.

Joe Nelson is just one of the good guys in the hobby. The pipe he entered and won with at the KC show in 2012 was masterpiece of design and craftsmanship.

Dueling Banjos was nice. Despite the name this tune is done as a duel between a banjo and a guitar. I suppose there is a double banjo version somewhere but I have never heard one.

A little more on “Duelin’ Banjos”. When Arthur Smith wrote it it was titled “Feudin’ Banjos”. A memorable recording of this with two banjos was with Smith and the great Don Reno.

When Deliverance came out the tune was retitled “Duelin’ Banjos” and given a new arrangement to use a guitar rather than a second banjo. In the movie credits Smith was not given credit for having written the song. Nor did he receive any royalties when the song became a big hit. He sued Warner Brothers and won a judgement that recognized him as the writer of the song and awarded him all past and future royalties.

4. bigvan said:

Hey Brian, thanks for the shout-out! By the way, the “panel-dog” that Joe entered into the KC pipe carving contest is now owned by ME. I’ve posted a picture of it in the forum if you’re interested.

Thanks for another great show.
    Thanks for another great show.

;-)

5. lincolnsbark said:

Hi Brian, was truly honored for you to read my best pipe memory on the show this week. I was driving down to Philadelphia to propose to my now fiance while listening to the show and was truly touched by your tribute. Love the show, never miss one.

6. fuelpump said:

Brian,
    As I posted a few weeks ago I have had my share of issues traveling with my pipes. I found that if you take out the pipe cleaners during security that is a big help. Also I agree and have been using the pistol case for travel for some time now. The hard plastic and soft foam work well even in the car. Still the best advice is to travel only with things you can deal with loosing.
    Case in point, I was on my motorcycle last summer when a coworker cruised up next to me in his jeep to tell me that I lost a pipe a couple blocks back. He was right, lucky it was just a basket pipe but it was a great smoker. By the time I got back around it was too late just debris remained. The culprit was a bad zipper on my jacket pocket.
    Anyway now I double check pockets before embarking out on the bike.
    Great rave, too many people are willing to look the other way when someone is in need.

Brian

You must be logged in to post a comment.

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 2929 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 1600 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 1050 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 821 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 797 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 681 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 652 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 568 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 499 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 497 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 3 comment(s) | 495 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 494 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 485 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 440 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 421 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 413 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 408 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 405 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 385 view(s) per day