The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 73 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Thank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk show for pipe smokers and collectors. We broadcast weekly, every Thursday at 8 pm eastern USA time and are available on nearly all podcast sites and apps. Listen on your computer, tablet, phone and even in the car! Our Featured Interview tonight is with Scrapp Huntington, a man who certainly does not fit the general public’s stereotype of a pipe smoker. He is a guitarist in the punk rock band, The Silent Majority, a former body-piercer, and produces his own podcast. In our "Pipe Parts" educational segment we will have the conclusion of Brian’s exploration of  the differences between three separate vintages of Escudo tobacco. Our pipes are packed, drinks are poured, the sound check is done … pack a pipe, sit back, relax and join us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show.

Tonight’s show is sponsored by Sutliff-Tobacco.com, CupOJoes.com, SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, and MeerschaumStore.com, Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our 1-hour show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes and other podcast sites and apps after the initial broadcast is complete here.

Listen & Download With These Apps as Well
iTunes Podkicker for Android Stitcher

Scrapp Huntington
Scrapp on Facebook
Silent Majority’s Pirate Podcast

Photos of pipe and tobacco donations for the Guinea West Africa Pipe Club from Radio Show Episode 46.

We would like to invite our listeners to be part of The Pipes Magazine Radio Show by sending in your own audio files. You can record an audio clip on your smart phone, tablet, laptop or desktop and send it to us via email. Some ideas for the recordings can be as follows. 1. A Fake Tobacco Review - make up a fake tobacco blend, tell us the name of it and make a silly review about it. 2. Dumbest Tobacco Blend Ever - create a dumb tobacco blend, name it and tell us what is in it. 3. The Dumbest Thing you’ve ever done with a pipe. 4. Favorite Pipe Smoking memory. 5. Reactions of anti-smokers to you smoking a pipe. 6. Questions about pipes, tobaccos, or anything personal that you want to ask Brian, or even Kevin.

Please try to keep the clips to 1 - 2 minutes in length. We can use just about any type of audio file, but MP3 files are best when possible. You can email your files to radioshow@pipesmagazine.com. All submissions become the property of Right Click Media, LLC & PipesMagazine.com. Submissions may be edited prior to publishing. No guarantee is given that your submission will be used. (If you need help making audio files, you may wish to search online for free audio software or mp3 file creators.)

10 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 73”

HI Brian,
    Since I like VAs only, w/o Perique, I can’t comment on your findings or recommendation, but the suggestion makes sense.

Your interview with Scrapp Huntington, as usual, was very interesting. Interesting and unusual. The brotherhood of the briar includes a wide spectrum of people. A man of many talents.

Just like the wide spectrum of people in the pipe collecting/smoking community so it is with music.

As a Virginia tobacco lover, where can I get a tin of Vampire Virginia?

I have a replacement gas cap. Of course it does not fit the leash. I sympathize.

Nice show Brian.

2. fuelpump said:

Hey Brian,

My concerns with storing the tobacco long term in foil would be that the there may be some interaction between the foil and the direct contact with the leaf. I would think that a layer of natural unbleached paper or even wax paper between the foil and tobacco may prevent the possibility of a reaction. Might be worth adding to your test. Also you may want to have a control that you just allow to age naturally.

Glad that you have so many different personalities on the show. It keeps the show interesting. Scrapp had a lot of good questions for new pipe smokers. I had some of the same problems when I first started. The pipe is hopefully going to save the world from the anti-smokers through proper education.

Those of us that travel a lot and rent cars frequently the little arrow for the fuel door helps keep us sane. I hated heading back to the airport and having to get out to find out which side the fuel door was on.
    Enjoyed the show keep up the great work.

Brian

3. kakis said:

Great show, Brian! I immediately subscribed to Scrapp’s Silent Majority’s Pirate Podcast. Cool.

I’m not sure whether this has been discussed here before, but all VA-lovers should definitely try BAKING tobacco. It’s a great way of fast-ageing good tobacco. All VAs are super suitable, incl. VA/PE oder Latakia baccies.

Best, K

4. lonesomepiper said:

I liked the interview!! Many of the questions made by Scrapp were precisely what I wondered before I read Fred Hanna’s book. Everything changed for me now. I’m smoking much slower. and tasting much more the tobacco! The fake tobacco review was superb! Really high standard. The guy is a pro! The arrival of those pipes in Africa are great news. Thanks for sharing it with us Brian!

5. malusrex said:

Another great show. The diversity of guests continues to impress. Scrap did a great representing those of us who may not fit the traditional mold of a pipe smoker.

As for future episodes, perhaps Steve Fallon aka Pipestud would consider being a guest?

6. asazeel said:

Love the show. I was wondering when or if you are going to interview any of the YouTube Pipe Community people? I would think an interview with the Dagners, Aristocob, or even Classical Pipes (he has a weekly pipe orientated news show on YouTube called “The Pipe Community News Show”), would make interesting interviews. They may not be pipe carvers, but they do have a strong love for the hobby. And there is even more than just those suggested. Just thought I’d drop the idea on you.
    Thanks, and keep up the good work.

@malusrex -
    Steve Fallon was on Episode 12:
    @asazeel
    Thanks for the guest suggestions. We will keep them in mind. Meanwhile, have you heard the show with The Scotch Pipe Smoker? Hew was on Episode 71.

8. irishpiper104 said:

A Big Hello from San Francisco!

Brian,

I’m a new listener to your show and absolutely love it!

When I found out you were also a San Francisco native, I knew I had to submit a post and give ya a shout from the Sunset Dist! I love smoking my Peterson pipes out at the beach, as its across the street from the house.

I’ve also started collecting pipes with our (adult) son, acquiring a few Nordings, Stanwells and Savinellis that we enjoy smoking. We’re looking forward to meeting Erik Nording next week at Telfords Pipe Shop up in Mill Valley.

I’ve also recently discovered the joy of building pipe cabinets and find nothing more relaxing than enjoying a pipe full of Molto Dolce or Top Shelf while woodworking and listening to your show!

Thanks for all the wonderful work you do for the pipe smoking world!

9. mirain said:

Hey Brian,

+1 on the Olympic curling. Goes great with a big bowl of delicious tobacco. My girlfriend thinks it’s as exciting as watching paint dry.

Keep up the good work.

10. yeperdo said:

Thanks for posting the pictures from West Africa Guinea! I have heard that the fellas are enjoying their pipes and tobacco. Thanks again to all who gave!
    JC

You must be logged in to post a comment.

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 2929 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 1599 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 1050 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 821 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 797 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 681 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 652 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 568 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 499 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 497 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 3 comment(s) | 495 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 494 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 485 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 440 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 421 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 413 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 408 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 405 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 385 view(s) per day