The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 67 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Thank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk show for pipe smokers and collectors. This is our last show of 2013, and we want to thank you for listening and being a fan of the show, and wish you a Happy New Year. In tonight’s "Pipe Parts" segment Brian will discuss how different pipe shapes can be considered for different uses or different smoking situations. For our Featured Interview tonight Brian will be talking to Per Jensen of The Mac Baren Tobacco Company. Mac Baren has a long and interesting history, and many popular tobaccos. You will hear about some of the interesting processes that happen during the product development of creating new pipe tobaccos. We will also talk about Per’s intriguing background. Our pipes are packed, drinks are poured, the sound check is done … pack a pipe, sit back, relax and join us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show.

Tonight’s show is sponsored by Sutliff-Tobacco.com, CupOJoes.com, SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, and MeerschaumStore.com, Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our 50-minute show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes after the initial broadcast is complete here.

iTunes Listeners Please Note: iTunes is doing an update and tells us that the syndication of the podcast may or may not be delayed.

Listen & Download With These Apps as Well
iTunes Podkicker for Android Stitcher

Per Jensen

1. Mac Baren Tobacco Factory Tour (Part I)

2. Mac Baren Tobacco Factory Tour (Part II)

3. Mac Baren Tobacco Factory Tour (Part III)

Wells Fargo “The Stagecoach & the Snowmen” TV Ad with Frosty the Snowman Smoking a Pipe

Brian’s Build-a-Bear

9 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 67”

Hey Brian,
    Per Jensen interview - very interesting history for MacBarens Tobacco. Per provided a lot of good blending information. Navy Flake has always been one of my favorites.

Got to have Bing, one of the most famous pipe smoking singers.

Thanks for the retirement plug. My group gifted me with a grand pipe for retirement. You have to see it to believe it. I’ll bring it to Chicago.

Great rant on Frosty! Great for Build a bear!

Keep up the good podcasts in 2014!

2. balcifer said:

Hey Brian,
    Great interview with Per Jensen I have been smoking MacBarens Tobacco for the past year and have enjoyed it. Their Plum Cake and Sottish Mixture Blend is great especially the Scottish Mixture Blend. Looking forward to trying the up and coming English blends & HH Old Dark Fire from MacBaren with in the new year. Merry Christmas to you and your co-workers at The Pipes Magazine Radio Show and including you family.

3. birdseye said:

Great show this week. Love hearing the history behind the manufacturers and makers, etc.

Would like to hear thoughts on where the best places in the world to live are if you are a pipe smoker.

Happy New Year

4. bigvan said:

Per is a great guy and it was an excellent interview, Brian. I can’t wait to try the new MB/HH blend at Chicago in just 5 short months!

Just a sensational interview with Per Jensen. His discussion of how Mac Barens goes about it business was really informative. Hard to believe the head guy is the person who does all tobacco acquisition. That is a guy committed to his business and is not just a “bottom Line” guy. Also the way they use an experienced tasting panel to describe the tobaccos they smoke was a real insider glimpse about how the company goes about developing new products.

You can never go wrong with Der Bingle doing an Xmas song.

Big thumbs up for this show.

6. batdemon said:

Great interview with Per Jensen. Mixture Scottish is always in my rotation, one of my go to smokes. Great job Brian!

7. quincy said:

This was fantastic. One of the best shows to date. I sat in my driveway for about 10 minutes because I didn’t want to interrupt the interview! Great job Brian!

8. pjhicks said:

As was expressed above, inspiring interview! I could listen to Mr. Jensen talk shop for hours. Makes me want to go back and try some Mac Baren tobacco. I haven’t tried any new Mac in years(so much good tobacco out there). Also, a GIANT nod to your opinion on “Polar Express”. I love anything Christmas but that movie left me with a disconcerting feeling that I could never put my finger on but “perverty” is apt. The whole movie was unsettling and bizarre from the animation to the story to the acting, hated it! Awesome Bing Crosby song, one of my favorites not just for Christmas. Looking forward to a grand year for the radio show! Have a safe holiday to you and yours.

9. Cortez said:

What a great interview with Per Jensen! Good show.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 3139 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 1103 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 1031 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 842 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 837 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 698 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 686 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 3 comment(s) | 681 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 575 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 516 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 504 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 503 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 490 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 445 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 424 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 415 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 410 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 409 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 391 view(s) per day