The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 39 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Thank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk show for pipe smokers and collectors. We want to thank you for listening and being one of our loyal 15,000 weekly fans. Your host is Brian Levine and in tonight’s "Pipe Parts" segment he will talk about the different types of pipe collections—what exactly defines a "Pipe Collection"? Is there more than one kind of pipe collection? Tonight’s featured guest interview is with Paul Creasy. Paul is the President of The Sutliff Tobacco Co. He has been in the industry for more than three decades, has an amazing knowledge of the business, and is an expert on the tobacco legislative front. Paul will give us the latest news in this area, which has some scary possibilities that he is fighting against.

Tonight’s show is sponsored by SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, and MeerschaumStore.com, Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our 45-minute show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes after the initial broadcast is complete here.

Episode 39 Pop-up Player Click Here to Play the Show

Listen & Download With These Apps as Well
iTunes Podkicker for Android Stitcher

Paul Creasy, President, Sutliff Tobacco Co.

See More At Sutliff-Tobacco.com

Tonight’s music is from the 1984 rock music mockumentary This Is Spinal Tap

7 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 39”

hey Brian,

A collection is a group of pipes that pleases the collector. It can be style, shape, manufacture, whatever… Variety is the spice of life.

Paul Creasy, great choice for an interview. I am glad we have Paul in the battle. he is quite knowledgeable and a great rep.

Their combination with MacBarens seems to be a + for the pipe smokers.

AS I recall, Spinal Tap was one of the groups my now older daughter liked as a kid.

I just do not answer the phone, re the rant.

Keep the good work, enjoy yourself in KC.

2. lordofthepiperings said:

Another great show. I’d love to sit down with a few pipes and a couple ounces of tobacco and chat with Paul.

3. pipesmokerjim said:

On your rant you mention the auto dialer. They are computers that call your phone as I’m sure you know, it logs when you pick up and what time of the day you pick up they then sale that info to other companies so they know what time of the day you will answer the phone call even if its just your voice mail picking up.

4. birdseye said:

Another really informative show. Would like to see more like this and to have Paul back on a regular basis for updates.

I’ve listened to a number of cigar podcasts over the years and you rarely go a week or two without hearing about CRA (Cigar Rights of America) and everything they’re doing to fight legislation. I never hear anything about what the pipe community is doing to fight legislation. It feels like we’re doing what pipe smokers do, sit quietly out of the way and smoke. So although his words were fairly discouraging, it was good to hear at least someone is doing something. But it still seems like it needs to be more. If we really are that small, one good hit could put us down for the count.

I hear you mention about being up against the clock and seem concerned or almost apologetic when a show (usually the more interesting ones) go a little long. Is there really a clock? Does the internet have a time limit on the length of podcasts? What happens if you go over 45 minutes? I’m pretty sure that nobody listening minds when the show goes a little long and often times hopes that it will.

Finally, I could be wrong but I think you did the same rant 2 weeks in a row. If not then I must have gotten some bad tobacco. Could have used that time with Paul. Just sayin’

Hopefully all is taken constructively.

Nelson

5. phred said:

I very much enjoyed this episode as well - nice to hear about current national-level legislation from someone with a close-up view, as it were.

And I did not expect the Spinal Tap - put a grin on my face all the way in to work.

6. cigrmaster said:

ANAother great show Brian, thank you. I used to be very willy nilly with my collection but have now focused on certain makers, sizes and shapes of pipes. This has allowed me to acquire nothing but great smokers( to me) that fit a very specific profile.

Paul thanks for all you do. I cannot even imagine how you deal with those people. I bet you have aged a good 20 years in the last few. You also have a hit with the new Capstan Blue and Gold flakes in my opinion. I will be loading up the cellar big time with them.

Brian, great rant. I also like messing with those harassing telemarketers, but as you said most of the time there is no one on the other end, not a smart way to run a business I would think.

7. romeowood said:

Finally catching up on the backlog of the PipesMagazine Radio Show podcasts, and this one is a standout interview with Paul Creasy. I’ve immensely enjoyed reviewing the Sutliff and Mac Baren product lines, and hearing Paul’s side of the story with regard to the changing landscape of tobacco legislation was at the same time reassuring, frightening, and a call to action.

: Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 8 comment(s) | 1852 view(s) per day
    Rules? What Rules?
    : Russ Ouellette In my early twenties I was fortunate to become friends with Mel Feldman, who owned T... 7 comment(s) | 1322 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 1279 view(s) per day
    August 2014 Caption Contest Sponsored by SmokingPipes.com & Savinelli
    : PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest Sponsored by SmokingPipes.com & Savinelli Welcome t... 3 comment(s) | 833 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 6 comment(s) | 767 view(s) per day
    King Charlemagne and the Dog Days of Summer
    : E. Roberts This is the weather I live for—hot, humid, and hot. What some disparagingly refer ... 3 comment(s) | 700 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 8 comment(s) | 630 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 566 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 559 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Early this morning, a dear friend packed a hired truck with boxes of pipes, tobacco, bo... 4 comment(s) | 557 view(s) per day
    The Joy of Smokes
    : E. Roberts Perambulating about the Upper East Side the other day I saw the remnants of an apartment... 7 comment(s) | 533 view(s) per day
    Twain and His Creations Arrive in Corn Cob Fame
    : A. Miller A few months ago a friend of mine took a look at my pipe collection and furled his brow s... 8 comment(s) | 484 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 467 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 3 comment(s) | 460 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 452 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 445 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 430 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 400 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 396 view(s) per day