The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 37 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Thank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk show for pipe smokers and collectors. We want to thank you for listening and being one of our loyal 15,000 weekly fans. Your host is Brian Levine and in tonight’s "Pipe Parts" segment he will talk about the differences between cigarette tobacco and pipe tobacco—there may be more differences than you think. Our featured guest is Dr. Fred Hanna. Fred has a PhD. and is a professor teaching graduate level courses on Counseling & Psychotherapy at the University of Northern Colorado. He is also author of the book, The Perfect Smoke and creator of two tobacco blends; Wilderness and Legends made by McClelland. Fred will be telling us some fascinating, and perhaps even astounding facts about nicotine.

Tonight’s show is sponsored by SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, and MeerschaumStore.com, Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our 45-minute show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes after the initial broadcast is complete here.

Listen & Download With These Apps as Well
iTunes Podkicker for Android Stitcher

Fred Hanna Speaking at the 2012 Kansas City Pipe Show

Like what you see here? Why not sign-up for a free membership? We are constantly producing new articles, how-to advice, educational articles about pipes and tobaccos, and entertaining pieces as well.

By signing up, you will receive our bi-monthly email with links to all the new content. You can also participate in our forums and comment on articles without having to fill out the form, (as long as you are logged in). This is the friendliest, most fun, informative and entertaining pipe smoker site in the world. Join Now for FREE!

UPDATE JUNE 19, 2013: Here are links with the nicotine references that many listeners asked for:

1. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/33023.php

2. Heishman, S. J., Kleykamp, B. A., & Singleton, E. G. (2010). Meta- analysis of the acute effects of nicotine and smoking on human performance.
Psychopharmacology, July, pp. 453-469. Link

3. Jarvik, M. E. (1991). The beneficial effects of nicotine. British Journal of Addictions, 86, 571-575.Link

4. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110427131824.htm

5. http://psychservices.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/50/10/1346

6. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070518142512.htm

7. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060912225448.htm

8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15011734

9. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15610934

10. http://tobaccodocuments.org/rjr/510662875-2885.html

11. http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200311/nicotine-drug-benefits-brain

12. http://www.uvm.edu/medicine/?Page=news&storyID=13036&category=comstude

15 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 37”

Fluffing! Whoa!

Good comparison on the types of tobacco.

Fred Hanna, excellent interviewee. I have heard him speak a number of times. He is an excellent speaker. I did hear the Vitamin N talk in Chicago. Fred makes a good point and supports his assertion. His book is a great read and it will be a plus to the hobby for it to come out in an electronic format.

Great news about Capstan and 3 Nuns coming back.
    I hope you had hearing protection at the races…

Great show, you need to bring Fred back.

4. bentmike said:

Yes this was a good show. Thanks to all invloved for making it happen. I agree More Fred!

5. ciderguy said:

Great show! I’m looking forward to the book coming out on Kindle. Amazon has a free program so that anyone one with a computer can read a Kindle book, so you don’t need to own a Kindle Tablet to read it.

6. birdseye said:

Probably one of the most informative shows to date. I’ve heard cigar podcasts talk in depth about how they grow, cure and process cigar tobacco but I have never heard any discussions specifically about pipe tobacco. I’m sure it is very similar but if there are more details about the processing of different types of pipe tobaccos I’d like to hear about that as well.

The Fred Hanna interview was great, very interesting. This guy has a lot of passion. Again, I’ve never heard anyone on any podcast (or anywhere for that matter) go into as much detail about nicotine as he did. The one thing that wasn’t mentioned was the difference in nicotine delivery between cigarettes, pipes and cigars. I’m assuming far more nicotine is delivered via cigarettes so how does that affect the usefulness of the positive effects of nicotine to the receptors in the brain? It seems to me that someone with early Alzheimer’s would get far more benefits from smoking cigarettes as opposed to pipes and cigars but I wouldn’t want to start inhaling my pipe or start smoking cigarettes. Does Fred have any information on the amounts of nicotine delivered by each and their individual effects? If so, maybe he could share a few comments about that here?

7. brianlevine said:

That was a fun show. I will try to get Fred on again as soon as possible. I did however, jump the gun on Starbucks. It is true that as of tomorrow all Starbucks locations will enact a 25′ smoking ban. This does include the outside seating area. Just one more company falling to the pressures of the Antis. Luckily for me I still have other options in my area.

8. phred said:

Definitely excited to hear that Dr. Hanna’s book is being reissued in Kindle format - will be anxiously awaiting publication data!

9. kashmir said:

What an outstanding interview! If ever a guest should be called back for a follow up … Fred’s book also touches upon the beneficial aspects of nicotine to brain chemistry. Is it any wonder really that so many (most?) of the greatest minds of the 20th Century were ardent pipe smokers? And that so many lived long lucid lives. Tobacco indeed was the greatest gift from the New World to the Old. I’d even go so far as to say that the greatest strides in human endeavor over the last half millennia, from the conquest of the seas to NASA’s landing on the moon, were the direct result of tobacco’s influence on the human brain.

10. rigmedic1 said:

This was the best show yet! Seems like a conspiracy, doesn’t it? Nicotine, the wonder drug that everyone can access! Makes me wonder who the anti’s are actually working for now. Thanks so much for the enlightenment. I, too, am looking forward to reading Dr. Hanna’s book.

11. brdavidson said:

Brian my wife has a brain injury that ahas left her with serious impairments, I would love to find out more on the studies that Fred talked about. This is the type of study I’d love to shove in her doctor’s faces to see if they’re willing to listen. If you could pm me details I’d be grateful.

12. windriver said:

Listened to Fred and Brian and really liked the show. Brian has some good humor and Fred is well informed and they kept me entertained why i wrote that short note to you the other day!!!!!
    Carl S.

13. scottso said:

As so many have said before me, each episode gets better and I look forward to the next with great anticipation. This week was a treat as I have traveled enough to have missed the last three episodes and so this week listened to a different episode each day. Now it’s Wednesday and I look forward to a new episode tomorrow!

The interview with GL Pease introduced me to a new favorite tobacco - Key Largo for which I must say THANK YOU! Also, the interview with Fred brought up some interesting conversation at home and I too would like to read the actual studies on benefits of nicotine that he referenced. Can you post them?

Keep the Makers Mark close, the pipe lit and the super podcasts coming!

Scott

14. scottso said:

Almost forgot my suggestion - why not have one of your estemed pipe carving guests create a “Podcast Only” pipe series that would only be available to your listeners?

Scott

Look just above the comments section for an update with several links to the nicotine references in Fred’s interview.

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 2929 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 1600 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 1050 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 821 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 797 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 681 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 652 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 568 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 499 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 497 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 3 comment(s) | 495 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 494 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 485 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 440 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 421 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 413 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 408 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 405 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 385 view(s) per day