The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 23 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Welcome to our special extended edition of the show for International Pipe Smoking Day. Episode 23 is being broadcast a day early at noon eastern US time so the entire world can join in. Brian will be talking to Tad Gage about blending tobaccos and the history of his two blends; Three Oaks and Three Oaks Syrian. You will hear some interesting news about the state of the pipe making business in the European Union—it’s kind of a good news / bad news situation that Brian learned about during his trip to Denmark and Germany last week. We’ll be running the show slightly longer in celebration of IPSD. Sit back, light up a pipe and enjoy.

Today’s show is sponsored by SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, and Cup O’ Joes. Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our special 1-hour show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes after the initial broadcast is complete here.

Listen & Download With These Apps as Well
iTunes Podkicker for Android Stitcher

Tad Gage

Click Here to read our tobacco review of 3 Oaks Syrian

Tad’s first appearance was on Episode 7 of The Pipes Magazine Radio Show

Oliver Twist (Click Pic for Larger Image)

13 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 23”

Missed the live broadcast by “that much”. Really enjoyed the conversation with Tad Gage. Tad is just a great guy to talk pipes and tobaccos with. I’d kill to have his palate.

2. rthbaum said:

Great show. Listening to Tad inspired me to play around with trying a little blending. I have become pretty good at making my own dry spice rubs for grilling and barbequing so I may be able to use that experience and transition that to tobacco blending.
    But the best part of listening to todays show was sharing it with my wife as I have juat introduced her to pipe smoking and she was right here with me smoking her third bowl in her Savinelli churchwarden that I recently got for her.

Keep up the great work and enjoyable shows.

Rick

It’s 7:45 PM. Work is done, guitar lesson over, practice over, dinner is over. Time to Listen to Brian’s latest work and time for a pipe. Obviously, I try to listen to the podcast as it appears on the pipes magazine web site. Tonight’s smoke is McC #5100 in a Castello Collection 3K Shape #65.

Interesting regarding the increase in pipe interest and possible shortages in briar and vulcanite.

Tad is a great guest as always. His high level of knowledge on both pipes and tobacco makes him an excellent resource. OK, is it Lat-a-key-a or la-ta-kia? I would enjoy having Tad back to discuss tobacco reviewing, also his magazine publishing experiences (The Compleate Smoker).

How did you find the tobacco prices and their availability in Europe? When I was in France and England, I found a variety of blends not very widely availability and what was there was very expensive.

I will go out and be seen smoking outside when it gets a bit warmer here in the north.

Another good one Brian. Keep up the good work!

4. pipedude1 said:

Missed the show on Thurs…….Caught it today….Enjoyed the interview with Tad Gage……Just finished a bowl of Three Oaks Syrian…Excellent.
    Have not missed an episode, but have never posted before…..Look forward to seeing you at the Chicago Show…

5. Uberam3rica said:

I enjoyed this episode, as always. Thanks for the shout out, but you said my screen name wrong. am3rica is pd a 3 inronounced the same as America, but i used a 3 instead of an E

6. batdemon said:

Great show. By all means have Tad back as a guest. I thought it was wonderful to hear a shout out to our mods, Ben, Jason & Lawrence do a super job. Brian, keep up the good work.

7. Uberam3rica said:

pd was supposed to bre pronounced. I guess part of the word got deleted.

8. dkobakofm said:

Episode #23: This show was so informative that I’ll need to listen to it two or three times. Fun to listen to Tad. Perfect show for IPSD! Thanks Brian. I’ll have to try 3 Oaks.

9. pipeastronomer said:

I listen to the show on iTunes on the weekends usually late at night when the house is asleep. I go down to the basement living/smoking room, bring a fine drink, give the 2 dogs a long chew, and fire up a bowl. It’s the best 45 mins to an hour of pure relaxation I have.. I look forward to my “ritual” pipe and podcast all week.

And I plan on smoking somewhere in public as soon as the opportunity presents itself. Maybe on one of my dog walks to show all, as you have challenged, what a 2013 pipe smoker looks like! Andthat we ARE still HERE!

10. roverblue said:

I listen to the show in my truck as I don’t smoke in the house, and it’s too cold to smoke outside in Michigan right now. A cup of coffee and a pipe on the way to or from work is the only way to go. Love the show! I’ve listened from the beginning and it just gets better!

11. pjhicks said:

Great show, can’t believe it took me this long to find it. Very appreciated while I work!

12. 4dotsasieni said:

Just got to listen to the IPSD episode — best show yet! Thanks for the Latakia education with Tag and special thanks for the Holmboe — one of my favorites.

And, hey — there IS good coffee available in the U.S. — you just have to know where to look, i.e. Seattle. In addition to the better known brews, because we’re a multicultural city there’s Vietnamese, Cambodian, and best of all: Weasel Coffee (look it up).

13. possiblemeltdown said:

Same as roverblue, I listen to the show in the car on the way to work. Usually Friday mornings using the TuneIn Radio app on my BB. As a new pipe smoker, I really enjoy the “technical” information that has been presented… Anatonmy of the pipe, types of tobaco, etc and look forward to more of this type of info.

Thanks Brian & Kevin for the time you both put into the show!

JR

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 2929 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 1599 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 1050 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 821 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 797 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 681 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 652 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 568 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 499 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 497 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 3 comment(s) | 495 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 494 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 485 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 440 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 421 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 413 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 408 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 405 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 385 view(s) per day