The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 20 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Wow. One month is already done in 2013, and as it turns out, we have five Thursday’s in January, so this is like an extra bonus show. We hope you enjoy listening as much as we do producing the show. In tonight’s "Pipe Parts" segment, the more Brian talks, the more you will be confused when he tries to tell you which factories make which tobaccos and how different brands move from one factory to another. Our interview tonight is with pipe maker Steve Morrisette. Steve is a highly regarded master craftsman, and he is also multi-talented working in the past as a professional photographer and drummer. We have one of his musical pieces queued up for after his interview.

Tonight’s show is sponsored by SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, and Cup O’ Joes. Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our 45-minute show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes after the initial broadcast is complete here.

This article sponsored by Sutliff-Tobacco.com. Please give them some consideration for your next tobacco purchase. They have a great selection and great prices -Sutliff-Tobacco.com

If you have an Android device, you can subscribe to the show on Podkicker.

The Pipes Magazine Radio Show is also available via the Stitcher app. Stitcher can be used in different car radios in certain automobiles from BMW, Ford and General Motors. Stitcher also works on iPhones, iPads and Android smart phones.

Steve Morrisette

Steve Morrisette Pipe - See more pipes on Steve’s website

12 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 20”

2. rev413 said:

Another Great Show Brian! Keep up the good Work!

Another great show. I like Steve’s pipes, now if only he would make a hawkbill. Regarding the old gentleman’s discussion on ‘the old ways’, I thought it was our friend Bill Kotyk. Isn’t that how you smoked one of those Micoli pipes he collects?

I would leav an Itunes comment, but I prefer listening to you as the podcast appears on Pipes-magazine.com. However, next week, I will miss you as I will be at a ‘concert’ of, what I call Head Banging Music. I will explain that to you in Chicago. I haven’t been to a ‘live’ music presentation in many years and will see if i need ear plugs. Interesting how many music interested people smoke pipes. Maybe I should ask steve to make me a pipe that resembles a guitar with the smoke coming out the sound hole and the shank the fret board. That would be interesting.

Will you be speaking the German show in the mother tongue?

Keep up the good work!

Another fine program. Steve Morrisette is just a wonderful carver and an excellent interview.

Really enjoyed the discussion on history of who makes what tobacco. It got pretty circuitous. You almost needed a program.

I usually listen to the program using iTunes. I rated it once and since then it won’t let me rate the program.

The trivia question was pretty crappy. :-))

5. bigvan said:

Another great show. Tell me again the name of the song as well as Steve’s band’s name.

6. dkobakofm said:

Episode #20: informative as usual. I am fascinated by the pipe tobacco conglomerates: who makes what, mixes this and that, where and for whom. Makes a bowlful more enjoyable. I’ll look up some of those giants. Steve, nice pipes and drumming!
    Fr. Dave

7. brianlevine said:

Bigvan: Steve’s band was called “States” and the song is “Picture Me With You”

8. sebert81 said:

Hi Brian,

enjoyed this episode (as always). Some stuff:

Kohlhaase & Kopp does NOT produce the Dunhill tobaccos (or this is a entirely new developement). Afaik they are still made by Orlik/STG, K&K is only the distributor for many parts of the world (Europe at least).

And I think there are somme errors in your description of how DTM was formed and how they are represented in the US, but I’ll have to do some research on that first.

Best regards

Sebastian, Stuttgart, Germany

@sebert81 - We have information that Kohlhase & Kopp does make Dunhill tobaccos now.
    You can see Dunhill here: http://www.kohlhase-tobacco.com/site/index.php?id=460
    It is ommmitted here: http://www.st-group.com/index.php/pipe-tobacco/complete-brand-list

10. dkobakofm said:

Thanks for those links Kevin!

11. sebert81 said:

Hi Kevin,

I wrote to Kohlhaase & Kopp, and this is what they answered:
    “[..]das Unternehmen Kohlhase & Kopp ist ausschließlich der Importeur von Dunhill Tabaken und diese werden von uns in Deutschland exklusiv vertrieben. Scandinavian Tobacco Group ist wiederum der lizensierte Produzent der Dunhill Tabake. Markeninhaber ist aber British American Tobacco. Das ist wohl auch der Grund, weshalb Sie diese Tabake nicht in der Liste der Scandinavian Tobacco Group finden.”

Translation:
    K & K is solely the importer of Dunhill tobaccos and is the exclusive distributor for them in Germany. STG is the licensed manufacturer of the Dunhill tobaccos, whereas the brand [when it comes to tobaccos] is owned by British American Tobacco. This is probably the reason why they are not listed on the STG site.

Apparently they only list their own brands there…

Best regards

Sebastian

12. perezabad said:

Mr. Levine, Congratulations for the 20th show. I listen from Madrid (Spain) and I can’t hardly wait for a new edition of the podcast. Keep the hard work. Gracias.

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 2738 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 1659 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 995 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 798 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 754 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 660 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 613 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 558 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 493 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 488 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 478 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 465 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 433 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 417 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 409 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 404 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 399 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 375 view(s) per day
    Fit your Body, Fit your Face
    : Steve Morrisette There are three main elements that warrant close consideration in a gentleman's or... 11 comment(s) | 362 view(s) per day