The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 19 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Welcome to our 4th show of the year on this Thursday night, January 24, 2013. The Pipes Magazine Radio Show has amassed 15,000 pipe smokers listening across the globe, and we thank you for tuning in. Do you know how much of the money you spend on tobacco goes to the government in the form of taxes? We have taxes on top of taxes on top of taxes. Brian will unravel the tobacco tax mystery, and then you will better understand the saying; "ignorance is bliss." Our interview tonight is with Linwood Hines. Linwood has been in the business and the hobby for years and is one of the founding members of the Conclave of Richmond Pipe Smokers (CORPS).

Tonight’s show is sponsored by SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, and Cup O’ Joes. Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our 45-minute show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes after the initial broadcast is complete here.

If you have an Android device, you can subscribe to the show on Podkicker.

The Pipes Magazine Radio Show is also available via the Stitcher app. Stitcher can be used in different car radios in certain automobiles from BMW, Ford and General Motors. Stitcher also works on iPhones, iPads and Android smart phones.

Linwood Hines

Brian Godbee & Kevin Levine

(Actually, Kevin G. is on the left and Brian L. is on the right)

7 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 19”

1. brianlevine said:

With the completion of this episode, my plot to takeover Kevin’s mind is underway. Hahaha.

Your show just keeps getting better and better. How did you score Linwood? What was the bribe??? Whatever it was, the best one you ever made. Linwood’s expertise, and the way he presents it is fantastic. He is one of the stalwarts of the hobby. I think a lot more should be said about the great opportunity to display ones collection at the expo, the great time one has in explaining it, the fun time, and the wealth of information one learns in putting together a display and the information you learn from the attendees. In my book, the CORPS Expo is one of the top shows and if you do not attend, a loss to yourself.

My guess on the trivia question is a bone connection on the meerschaum pipe.

BTW Brian, I have told Bill, Fuzzy, and Homer that I plan to bring my “baby” Martin to the Chicago show. We need to get together. Linwood also.

I never quite understood all the taxation and your presentation made it clear.

Keep up the good (no, great) work.

3. dino said:

I enjoyed tonight’s show very much. Your extended conversation with “Dr.” Hines was both informative and nostalgic. I, quite frankly, didn’t want it to end.
    Are you aware that the new CBS “Survivor” promos have co-opted your Ozzy theme?
    I missed the music break, as your eclectic music tastes somewhat mirror mine, and what you choose to play is always a treat. But, it was worth it to hear Linwood’s wonderful observations. I always look forward to the next show.

Really good explanation of the various ways tobacco is taxed and why it is so much more expensive in some locations. As always a fine interview. It is always good to hear how other people go about setting up and running a pipe show.

5. docwatson said:

Everything about this show/podcast is just amazing and entertaining for me because of my love for pipes and tobaccos. It’s great to hear of others life experiences how our hobby makes for a time to relax, contemplate and enjoy the simple things in life. Brian is adding a new dimension to our hobby by bringing some of the finest and most knowledgeable pipe and tobacco people to the masses through this medium. And yes, Linwood is a Southern Gentleman through and true. Keep the show going y’all, it’s a blast.

6. birdseye said:

This was an excellent podcast. Thanks for giving Linwood the extra time, I love hearing about the old days.

Found the tax info interesting (and baffling) and would like to hear more about all the RYO tobacco that is out there labeled pipe tobacco. This could be a big reason why it looks like pipe smoking is growing faster than it probably is but also putting a bigger target on our back for more taxes or even worse… extinction.

It was also mentioned that the cigar lobby is very active and from everything I’ve heard I agree. Is there anyone out their lobbying for the pipe smokers? If so, who? If not… Why not?

7. dkobakofm said:

Very informative show as always!
    The taxation section was enlightening and disturbing at the same time.
    Linwood Hines … what a great voice. Dr. Hines I could listen to you speak all day long! You ought to be a professional narrator.
    Keep it up Brian!
    Fr. Dave

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 3128 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 1095 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 838 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 828 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 693 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 675 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 651 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 573 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 505 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 501 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 501 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 488 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 443 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 422 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 414 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 409 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 406 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 2 comment(s) | 396 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 386 view(s) per day