The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 18 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

We are now four months into our regular weekly broadcasts of The Pipes Magazine Radio Show and have surpassed 15,000 listeners each week. Thanks for listening! Tonight’s show: Pipes and tobacco - each one is useless without the other, but some people appreciate one more than the other. Tonight’s "Pipe Parts" topics asks the question; "Are you a pipe guy or a tobacco guy?" Our featured guest tonight is Olie Sylvester. Olie makes extremely unique and creative pipes, and he has one of the longest running and most popular pipe podcasts called Oom Paul. Brian and Olie interviewed each other for their own respective shows.

Tonight’s show is sponsored by SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, and Cup O’ Joes. Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our 45-minute show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes after the initial broadcast is complete here.

You can hear Olie’s interview with Brian on the Oom Paul Podcast.

If you have an Android device, you can subscribe to the show on Podkicker.

The Pipes Magazine Radio Show is also available via the Stitcher app. Stitcher can be used in different car radios in certain automobiles from BMW, Ford and General Motors. Stitcher also works on iPhones, iPads and Android smart phones.

Olie Sylvester

Olie’s extremely unique Beastie pipes.

For more on Olie’s pipes, see our Kansas City show coverage, and scroll half way down.

Brian is starting to take the show too seriously. Now he wants to be called Edward R. Murrow, and he refers to himself as "The Talent".

Here is the dash of a BMW with The Pipes Magazine Radio Show on the car radio via Stitcher.

7 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 18”

That was an excellent show Brian!

My guess on the Trivia question would be Asbestos.
    Another great show, Brian.
    When I was young, a shop owner around the corner smoked only cutty pipe tobacco. I could not understand why a person would only smoke one tobacco. Having smoked a pipe when I was 18, over 40+ years ago, I have tried almost everything. I now only smoke McClelland #5100, Red Kake (as does Emperor Leopaldo - see my website). Occasionally I will smoke something else. As Bill Kotyk has often said that “I have three underwear drawers full of 5100″ in addition to over 500 tins of tobacco in my cellar. Amazing how one’s view change over time. I guess by your definition, I would be a tobacco person.

Keep up the good work.
    Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks for being a loyal, regular listener John!

4. oompauldotcom said:

Nice job as always Brian. Many thanks for the chat and keep up the great work!

Just another wonderful episode. I hope this show gets the word out what a wonderful asset Olie Sylvester is to the pipe hobby.

6. cigrmaster said:

Another great show Brian, thanks. Not sure whether I am a pipe guy or tobacco guy. I smoke VA and Vaper Flakes only and buy artisan pipes most notably from Rad Davis because I love the way they smoke my flakes. I buy certain sized pipes and certain shapes to get the most out of my flakes. I dedicate my pipes to Va flakes and Vaper flakes. So what does this make me? I really enjoyed the opening segment because of the question it raised.

The interview with Ollie was great, I will definitely be checking out his podcast. I never knew it existed. The Tull song was great, always been a huge Tull guy. The rant as always was entertaining. Looking forward to this weeks edition.

7. lankfordjl said:

I’m still listening and appreciating the program! I had to catch up on all the December and January shows; I got behind during the Christmas holidays. Episode 15 was great by the way! I, for sure, am a pipe guy. I’m attracted to specific styles of pipes (usually darkly stained rustic or sandblasted bend briars by various makers)…and each pipe is dedicated for specific tobaccos blends. On a day when I can’t smoke; I am sustained by adoring the pipes in my collection. Just as Olie stated in the interview, “Pipes are little works of art.”

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 3386 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 1166 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 885 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 866 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 729 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 718 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 691 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 584 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 545 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 512 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 507 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 496 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 451 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 428 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 418 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 413 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 413 view(s) per day
  • I'm Doing Pipe
    I'm Doing Pipe "Research"
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 399 view(s) per day