The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 12 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

We are pleased to bring you Episode 12 of the Pipes Magazine Radio Show. Our featured guest tonight is Steve Fallon, a.k.a "PipeStud". Steve has a well-known consignment-auction business for estate pipes and vintage tobaccos for which he also has some great stories. Steve is a former sports caster and currently works for the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

Tonight’s show is sponsored by SmokingPipes.com, Missouri Meerschaum, 4noggins.com, and Cup O’ Joes. Please give them some consideration when making your next pipe or tobacco purchase.

We hope you enjoy our 45-minute show produced just for you—the pipe smoker and collector. The following link will launch a pop-up player. Alternatively, you can download the show in iTunes after the initial broadcast is complete here.

If you have an Android device, you can subscribe to the show on Podkicker.

Steve Fallon

Brian Levine

10 Responses to “The Pipes Magazine Radio Show - Episode 12”

1. kb7get said:

Thanks for talking a bit more about tobaccos on this show. Wish you would do a review or two each show on someones blend.

I have one of the graphite “the pipe” models. It actually smokes quite well. The interview with Steve Fallon was excellent. You could tell he was a broadcaster. He had some great stories too. I also loved the choir performing The Little Drummer Boy.

Another great broadcast. Steve Fallon is just a great guy and is a real asset to the hobby.

How navy flake came about would take a while to explain. Seamen had to come up with a way of story tobacco aboard a ship that would not take up space or dry. Somehow they figured out how to do this by storing tobacco in cakes. When they wanted to smoke they would slice of a thin piece (e.g. a “flake”) of tobacco. When tobacconists found out what they had done and then duplicated it they called it a “navy flake”.

4. Dr.B said:

Greetings Brian:
    Pipe Stud - Consignments - seen him many times on e bay and it’s nice to put a voice to the face… What a natural for radio and great story teller! Royal Yaht, one I’ve yet to try - but Steve has peaked my interest.
    The choir music sounded good - puts one in the Holiday mode, perhaps I should go locate my Christmas Pipe… Till next Thursday…

5. atboth said:

All well and good, but I seem to recall he also like Royal Yacht.

6. dino said:

As always, Brian, a fine show. The conversation with your guest gives, “Nice pipes, Steve” a double meaning.
    Kevin, I, too, have a couple of “the pipe.” I use them to taste new tobaccos. All you get is the unadulterated taste of the blend. I bought one back in the late 60s, and the other from Billie Taylor, the world’s greatest expert/collector of “the pipe”, at a Chicago Show, a few years ago. To find out more about these pipes, go to his site: http://thepipe.info/

I forgot to mention that I have made several puchases from Steve and a better person to deal you cannot find.

No one’s perfect because Royal Yacht is awful. :-))

8. Pipeline said:

I’ve listened to all 12 episodes, Brian. Enjoying hearing a SoCal native discuss this great hobby. Keep at it.

One suggestion for the website: Make the showtime obvious. I’m sure it is listed somewhere, just not obvious to me.

Best regards,
    Mike

9. Evan said:

Please put a direct download link to the MP3

10. cigrmaster said:

Another great show guys, thanks so much. Steve was great, he is a very funny guy. Years ago he used to hang out at a pipe BB with me and some friends of mine and he was always incredibly funny and a wealth of knowledge. It is great to hear his business is doing so well.

: Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 2263 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 1785 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 1118 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 934 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 658 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 580 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 547 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 542 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 502 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 10 comment(s) | 471 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 454 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 447 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 439 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 433 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 9 comment(s) | 430 view(s) per day
    Happy 4th of July from PipesMagazine.com
    Fit your Body, Fit your Face
    : Steve Morrisette There are three main elements that warrant close consideration in a gentleman's or... 11 comment(s) | 409 view(s) per day
    Pipes, Tobacco, and Burnt Ends
    : James Foster I think only one word can sum up the 15th Annual Kansas City Pipe Show that happened J... 12 comment(s) | 406 view(s) per day
    Tonight We're Gonna Party Like It's 1849
    : E. Roberts Summer's here, finally, and the time is right for dancing in the streets. And by "d... 8 comment(s) | 402 view(s) per day