International Pipe Smoking Day, Feb. 20 | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information
International Pipe Smoking Day, Feb. 20     February 10th, 2011

Millions of pipe smokers around the world will be celebrating the fourth annual International Pipe Smoking Day on February 20. Pipe smokers everywhere will "raise their pipes together to foster friendship, benevolence, and tranquility across all borders," according to the United Pipe Clubs of America.

IPSD was celebrated for the first time in 2008 when it was originated by Smokers Forums, a European Internet group. Since then, it has been supported by the Comite International des Pipe Clubs and its members in 25 countries around the world. UPCA is the United States member of CIPC.

The UPCA website explains that, "On this day we will … celebrate the noble art of pipe-smoking and the … spirit which pervades the brotherhood and sisterhood of the briar. We will put into practice the time-honored and ancestral traditions of raising our pipes in unison to toast each other and share a bowl together."

To celebrate the occasion, many pipe clubs and tobacconists across the United States, Europe and elsewhere are staging pipe smoking events at 9:00 p.m. locally to bring together their members and others interested in pipe smoking. In addition, events feature slow-smoking competitions. Each contestant is given just two matches and the winner is whoever can keep a pipe going the longest.

Attesting to a resurgence in pipe smoking among younger adults as well as older ones, pipe smoking groups have attracted thousands of members in recent years on social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and MySpace, and especially on PipesMagazine.com.

Related Article: Every Day is International Pipe Smoking Day

10 Responses to “International Pipe Smoking Day, Feb. 20”

1. Adrian PARI said:

Hello, our Club will celebrating “international pipe smoking day” here in Romania.
    IPSD was celebrated for the first time by our club in 2009. We can sand you some pictures…

2. classicgeek said:

I’m going to contact my tobacconist and see if anything is scheduled.

Simon

3. oldtom said:

There is no local club here. But as a fellow “pipester” I will join many others in celebrating this day.
    I’ll even place a poster at the local B&M to advertise this honorable day for us all.

4. randy931 said:

As the same for me there is no club here either but that weekend I will be in St Louis for the St Louis pipe show that is on Saturday the 19th. I will raise a pipe too on the 20th to honer the international pipe smoking day.

5. Doc Garr said:

Pocono Intermountain Pipe Enthusiasts, in conjunction with El Humidor in Wilkes-Barre, PA, will be holding a smoking contest on Feb. 20 at 1pm unless we are closed because the code enforcement office is trying stop smoking in the store despite our PA clean air exemption, four giant smoke eaters, and ozone treatment ever night.

6. johnscs said:

Although a local club doesn’t yet exist, the tobacconist at the local shop and I have organized an informal IPSD celebration at a local pub. He’s extending invitations to all customers who purchase pipes, tobaccos, and pipe-related products. If we get a reasonable turnout, we hope to use the occasion to launch a club.

7. [...] Sunday is International Pipe Smoking Day, a day for celebrating the wonderful tradition of pipe smoking. And if you haven’t tried smoking a [...]

8. jimbo said:

It’s on SUNDAY?? Who dreamed that up?

How does that help the local B&Ms who are closed on Sundays?

9. cobking said:

Ill be in my big rig heading to canada so I guess Ill just have to smoke one at 9pm .Hmmm I smoke a pipe and drive a truck…maybe I should of named myself Smokestack lol

10. stephen said:

I will be in a pipe smoking contest at the El Humidor today, wish me luck.

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 2921 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 1230 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 1044 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 818 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 791 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 677 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 644 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 566 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 497 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 495 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 486 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 483 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 438 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 420 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 412 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 3 comment(s) | 408 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 407 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 403 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 381 view(s) per day