Exclusive Preview: Tobaccos from Missouri Meerschaum & New Tribute to Balkan Sobranie | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

A surprise announcement was made two weeks ago on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show. During the interview with Phil Morgan, General Manager of Missouri Meerschaum Co., (the makers of the original American Corn Cob Pipe), he told us they would be offering their own pipe tobaccos. Mr. Morgan also revealed that the blender of their tobaccos was none other than Russ Ouellette. Mr. Ouellette is the blender of the Hearth & Home series and several other popular pipe tobaccos. He also writes a monthly column, Put That in Your Pipe, for PipesMagazine.com. The official announcement was to be made at the up-coming Chicago pipe show, but since the news came out during the radio show interview, Mr. Ouellette decided to provide us with more details. Not only has he blended four new Missouri Meerschaum tobaccos, but he will also be releasing a new tribute to Balkan Sobranie.

At the Chicago show, May 2nd - 4th (and simultaneously on PipesAndCigars.com), the five new tobaccos will be introduced.

Russ tells PipesMagazine.com:

"The first four are from a project that’s been about a year in the works, and they will be the first pipe tobaccos to bear the Missouri Meerschaum name. They will come in pouches and cover the major categories. Country Gentleman is a Virginia blend with some Perique and a hint of dark-fired Kentucky. American Patriot is a Latakia-based mixture with Virginias and Orientals with a light Bourbon top-note. Great Dane is an aromatic blend, with a good share of steamed black Cavendish, and a deep cherry flavor with a hint of vanilla. Finally, Missouri Pride is a mixture of ready-rubbed Burleys and Virginias with minimal flavor [added], for an honest American-style blend. Besides being the first tobaccos under the MM banner, what makes them distinctly different, is that, while they’ll smoke nicely in any pipe, they’ve been formulated to taste their best when smoked in a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob. These blends will be available to retailers in sleeves, through Meier & Dutch, our wholesale sister-company."

Fans of the popular Black House tobaccos will be excited to learn:

"Our newest offering in the Hearth & Home Marquee Series is called White Knight, a companion to our very popular Black House. This is a medium-bodied, complex Latakia blend, with excellent Orientals and very sweet Virginias. It’s my homage to Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture, as I remember it from the late seventies and early eighties. What makes this especially impactful, is that this will be the first of our tobaccos to be released in a vacuum-sealed, European-type tin. Eventually, all of the Marquee Series tobaccos will be moved over to this type of packaging."

The Hearth & Home series is produced and packaged by the Sutliff Tobacco Company in Richmond, Virginia. Recalling a great story recently about how Lane STG found an old tinning machine to start producing in the old style tins, we asked if the Hearth & Home series was being moved to them.

Russ advises:

"H&H is still being done with Sutliff. We have some other third-party projects we’ll be doing, and a common request was that we use a different tin for their blends, and they preferred the European-style tins. I called Paul Creasy to ask about the possibility of using those tins, and within a couple of months, they had acquired the machinery, and were bringing in the tins. The relationship we have with Sutliff is pretty amazing, and it’s a testament to Paul’s leadership that he is willing to do so much to grow his business. Since we first started working with them, they brought in six presses to do our cake tobaccos (they didn’t press any of their own blends), and now this equipment. Over the next year, we’ll be producing 8 new blends under other companies’ names, and they will all be in the euro-tins."

13 Responses to “Exclusive Preview: Tobaccos from Missouri Meerschaum & New Tribute to Balkan Sobranie”

1. pruss said:

Outstanding!

I was already excited about heading to Chicago, now I’m salivating just thinking about White Knight. Thanks, Russ, P&C, and pipesmagazine.com

– Pat

2. papipeguy said:

I sampled all of the mentioned blends and all are winners in my book. White Knight really brought me back to the days when I could get BS easily. A most enjoyable smoke.

3. lincolnsbark said:

The White Knight sample from the IPSD goodie bag was absolutely phenomenal. I love the orientals and sweet virginia combinations; this may replace FMC as my go-to oriental blend. Exciting to hear about the new tins, I definitely prefer the Euro style twist on top tin.

4. ejames said:

That MM “Missouri Pride” sounds like something I’d like to try. I like Virginia-Burley blends.

5. Cortez said:

Thanks to PipesMagazine for keeping us plugged-in to these developments. Where else can a guy get reliable, primary source information like this?

6. lestrout said:

Wow - that Euro-tin means no more worries about ageing those tobaccos.

7. plateauguy said:

Great Dane is one cherry blend I’m actually willing to try!
    Thanks!

8. lordofthepiperings said:

Great news! Can’t wait to check out Great Dane!

9. Jud said:

I’ll have to try some White Knight when the crowd thins out. I smoked a lot of Original back in the early 70’s.

10. mso489 said:

Hope some or all of these new blends will show up at the TAPS pipe show in Raleigh later this month, April 2014.
    I’d love to sample them.

11. lonestar said:

Awesome news ! Can’t wait to try all 4 MM blends.

12. joecrumley said:

I too enjoy the interiew’s but first I do my best to scroll through the awful introduction music and voice over message. Pipe smoking such a classic topic with centuries of rich history and information. The déclassé introduction leave me cold and wondering how and why this ever came about.

I’m so proud of this online magazine and it’s quality information. It’s the Radio Show that needs some help.

Keep up the good work.

Joe Crumley

13. winton said:

I tried the Great Dane blend at the Chicago Pipe Show. I really enjoyed it. It was one of my two favorites that I tried.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

: Via Press Release - In keeping with the longstanding tradition of introducing innovative new product... 2 comment(s) | 3133 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 5 comment(s) | 1098 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease I'm back from Kansas, and trying to recover from the fun. Pipe shows are great things, ... 3 comment(s) | 840 view(s) per day
    : Gabrielle made her debut on PipesMagazine.com in 2012. This is her 8th appearance as a Pipe Babe sin... 1 comment(s) | 832 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown As I reflect upon our current condition, meaning the fraternity of pipe tobacco smokers,... 5 comment(s) | 810 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown Over the next weeks and months, I will endeavor to write a series of essays that will be... 13 comment(s) | 695 view(s) per day
    : Allan Shinogle Those of us who have been around for 6 plus decades remember well when smoking in ... 6 comment(s) | 680 view(s) per day
    : Say hello to our newest Pipe Babe, Gina Roode. Gina is a full time musician with an album of her own... 0 comment(s) | 574 view(s) per day
    : James Foster I had first heard about some of Rik's custom tampers after seeing a tamper that looked... 2 comment(s) | 526 view(s) per day
    : Via Press Release - Phillips & King International and Erik Stokkebye are delighted to announce t... 2 comment(s) | 510 view(s) per day
    : G. L. Pease Some years ago, a certain tobacco, one that was evidently quite popular, highly regarde... 21 comment(s) | 502 view(s) per day
    : Fred Brown CHICAGO—Well, the 2014 Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show is in ... 1 comment(s) | 502 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette I admit it. I have a problem. Well, actually, I have a lot of problems, but I'm refe... 17 comment(s) | 489 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 6 comment(s) | 444 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Every time I go to a pipe show, I come away with new information, or, at least, a ne... 25 comment(s) | 423 view(s) per day
    : Kevin GodbeeThank you for joining us for The Pipes Magazine Radio Show—the only radio talk sho... 3 comment(s) | 414 view(s) per day
    : We are pleased to announce the April 2014 Winners for the PipesMagazine.com Cartoon Caption Contest ... 1 comment(s) | 409 view(s) per day
    : Laurie Jacobson Hollywood has always been about looking good. That's why the pipe has been there si... 10 comment(s) | 407 view(s) per day
    : Russ Ouellette Lord knows that I have been called a "tool" by a number of people (along w... 12 comment(s) | 389 view(s) per day