Broken Pipe: Craig Tarler | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information
Broken Pipe: Craig Tarler     September 5th, 2012

We regret to inform the pipe community of the passing of Craig Tarler of Cornell & Diehl. He passed last night, September 4, 2012 at the age of 82.

Cornell & Diehl released the following this morning:

For the past twenty three years Craig and his partner and love of his life Patty devoted themselves to their family and his great passion, pipe tobacco and pipe smokers. Craig found pipe smokers to be among the most interesting of the people he met during his rich and full life and years of traveling the world. His genuine love of people and friendly, outgoing and larger than life personality was evident to all who came in contact with him, whether by phone or in person. On many occasions visitors would come by to visit at Cornell & Diehl and all had the same reaction, that they felt they already knew Craig and Patty from getting to know them on the phone and felt they were visiting with an old friend on their first face to face meeting.

While Craig will certainly be missed by all whose lives he touched he wouldn’t want us to be saddened by his leaving. He viewed life as a wonderful adventure, meant to be savored and experienced to the fullest and shared with others. Selfishness was a foreign concept to Craig; he gave fully and freely of himself to all he came in contact with and would wish to be remembered with a smile and a heart full of good will for others. Though our world here on earth is a bit darker, we should all be heartened by the knowledge Heaven is a bit brighter, lit by Craig’s rogueish, joyful smile and his booming voice announcing his arrival with the words, "Oh, what fun!"

We wish to express our deepest condolences to the Tarler family; Craig’s wife, Patty, and his children, Sally, Pam and Chris.

34 Responses to “Broken Pipe: Craig Tarler”

1. dougallen48 said:

Very sorry to hear of Craig’s passing. Patty my thoughts and prayers are with you and your children. I met Craig while I was President of Sparta Industries and Mastercraft Pipes in Sparta, NC. Craig’s passing leaves a giant void in our industry.

2. pipeshoppe said:

I first met Craig and Patty in 1998 when I was just starting out. Craig was always the go-to guy when I wanted to create unique blends for Penn Valley Pipes. We never met face to face, but our frequent interactions over the phone made me feel as though Craig and Patty were not only mentors, but my good pals. Patty, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Craig, I know you’ll have a heavenly blend waiting for all you’re loyal followers when we meet again. Rest well my friend.

My condolences to family, friends and associates in the pipe tobacco industry. Truly, the pipe smoking community has lost a great friend, advocate and contributing talent.

4. wmolaw said:

He was so helpful when I called to discuss various tobaccos. So sorry, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

5. gubernick said:

With the full respect say goodbye to our friend. Perhaps now you will be smoking heavenly cigars.

6. Jud said:

My condolences to his family. He made some great blends.

7. Ken said:

Very sorry to hear this. My condolences.

8. docwatson said:

Sad news indeed. Craig was the ultimate sales person, intelligent marketing guru, and a friend to everyone that he met. But most of all he was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. My heartfelt sorrow goes out to his wonderful family. He is a legend in the pipe tobacco community.
    Andy C.

9. Aaron said:

RIP Craig…you’ll be missed.

10. ejames said:

I had the pleasure of meeting the Tarlers and toured their plant once. Fine folks. My condolences to the family. He will be missed by many.

11. Phil White said:

The press release couldn’t be more correct. The first time I spoke with Craig back in early 1995 we talked and I felt like I was talking to a friend. He was exuberant about his tobaccos and his business. More than anything you felt he honestly wanted to take care of his customers. I guess I could go on and on about conversations over the years but needless to say we’ve lost a fine man.
    My sincere prayers for his family and their loss.

12. Woolyleprechaun said:

A sad loss. My most sincere condolences to all those close to him x

13. Rev. Todd Jerabek (Embarrass, WI) said:

My prayers go with you - Patty, Sally, Pam and Chris.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

14. Puffingthebriar said:

What agreat loss,my condolences go out to Patty,& the family, the pipe community as lost a true gentleman, R.I.P Craig.

15. deleon said:

My condolences sorry to hear about Craig Tarler

16. Belgian Mick said:

My condolences to the entire Tarler family. The entire pipe community mourns the loss of a great creative soul who has given so much pleasure to so many of us.

My prayers go out that Patty, Sally, Pam and Chris may find strength and comfort in the realization that Craig is now in a better place, undoubtedly enjoying a bowl of his latest creation. And one day, may we join him there and blow smoke rings in everlasting joy.

17. pipeinhand said:

Oh no. My heart goes out to Patty and family. Rest well old friend.

18. Bob K said:

I first met the Tarlers some years back at the Chicago Pipe Show, and always visit their table.

I live on Star of the East, with the occasional bowl of Pirate Kake.

Wonderful people. I will miss Craig.

19. Captain Bob said:

My love of the pipe was truly enhanced by our relationship. The experience of working on tobacco blends and visiting with Craig shall always remain a very special part of my life. He touched all those who knew him in a very special way that was a Blessing and so much fun. He will be missed by all who knew him. I have no doubt that the tradition he began will continue with Chris following in his footsteps. My prayers go out to his wonderful wife Patty, daughter Sally, daughter Pam and her husband Bob Hayes and his son, Chris, who has some big shoes to fill and I know he will!

20. Charlie said:

1Thessalonians 4:13-18

21. RichC said:

My heartfelt prayers go out to Patty & family. What tribute to the memory of a fine man who has obviously positively touched the lifes of so many people. RIP Craig.

22. zanthal said:

Seems like a real gentleman … RIP

A sad day for the pipe smoking community. Deepest sympathies to his family & friends.

24. yohanan said:

Mr. Craig Tarler, Pipe Blender Extraordinaire. My condolences to his wife Patty and the entire Family at Cornell and Diehl.

25. mike addiego said:

I met Craig and Party at the Richmond pipe show a long time ago. I remember it to this day. My condolences

26. reichenbach said:

I only knew Mr. Tarler through his blends that I have smoked and loved but it seems that we have lost a genius from the pipe community. The Tarler family is in my thoughts and prayers. This bowl of Three Friars is for you, Mr. Tarler. Pipes up, ladies and gentlemen.

27. group4 said:

Craig Tarler started me on the road to enjoyable pipe smoking. I will miss him. RIP Craig. My condolences to his loved ones.

28. Chris said:

What sad news to hear. Prayers for his family and friends.

29. mkelaw said:

Craig was a wonderful man, warm, friendly, approachable and kind. Our community will miss him. My condolences go out to Patty and the Tarler family as well as the employees of C&D.

30. dickatcct said:

I, too, share the sadness expressed by others.

The wonderful blends Craig created for our world-wide community will continue to be a living tribute to his passion to add to our smoking joy. His wacky tin-art and over-the-top blend names will always remind me of his humor.

I wonder what wonderful mixtures will await us when we join him again.

31. avantgarde said:

This is indeed a very tragic loss to the pipe smoking community, my thoughts and deepest condolences are with the family.

32. captainbob said:

33. Charles Funn said:

One of the reasons I looked foward to the CORPS Show in Richmond was to converse with him and the group. I feel as if my stomach has been pulled out and put back in. Prayers going out to his family and the staff at C&D..I’ll miss him saying, “Try this..it’ll be fun”….
    A major loss to the pipe smoking community…RIP in Mr.T…

34. nismo270r said:

A very sad day for the Tarler family and all the extended family of brothers and sisters in the community. A loss to not only his family and the whole community, but I think the world has lost a truly great man.